Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac compatible printer/scanner server

Hi.

I have two macs on OS X 10.6.6. I have a really good but older Brother laser printer/scanner/fax. I would like to network the two macs to be able to print and scan over the network - but, the printer only has parallel port and usb slots. I tried a printer server (iogear GPSU21) only to discover that I can print, but not scan. iogear has one that does all-in-one with full functionality, including my Brother MFC-7220, but it is a PC only product. Talked to my mac store and they suggested purchasing a new printer/fax/scanner that has networking built in and said they didn't know of any products or work-arounds. We would like to keep using the old Brother, with out having to move cables between computers etc...any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance for your help and ideas...

Ciao,
Paul

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 12:32 PM

That's a tough one.

I think you won't be able to access all the features from all the Macs given it's interfaces/limitations.

However, if you attach the printer to a Mac, you can share the printer and scanner from OS X. I believe that is in System Preferences, Printers and Image Capture settings.

Im not at my Mac at the moment, but have a look and see.

I think that is the only solid solution for you.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Paulo1

That's a tough one.

I think you won't be able to access all the features from all the Macs given it's interfaces/limitations.

However, if you attach the printer to a Mac, you can share the printer and scanner from OS X. I believe that is in System Preferences, Printers and Image Capture settings.

Im not at my Mac at the moment, but have a look and see.

I think that is the only solid solution for you.

Mar 25, 2011 6:10 PM in response to Beavis2084

Hi and thanks very much for the prompt reply. Wow. I have also looked in vain so far. Was hoping for a solution whereby I don't have to have both machines running all day (one is my wife's and one mine). If you run across any thing else in terms of peripherals or work arounds, I would appreciate it. Have a great day.

Mac compatible printer/scanner server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.