Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rule with "Any Recipient" not working

Hello,

I set up a rule, that goes like:
if ANY....
"any recipient" "contains" "mynicemail@mail.com"
perform...
apply color red.

I have a message in my inbox, in wich "to" contains this mail. but it doesnt't work.

I do the SAME rule, changing "any recipient" for "to" and it works..

how can it be?

(I use any recipient because I want to filter messages with From and TO or CC)

Thanks!

Mac book pro 15' mid 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 5:42 AM

9 replies

Mar 17, 2011 9:40 AM in response to mcortesi

Actually, that rule works fine on my computer. When you test it on the message in your inbox, highlight the message you are talking about and click on apply rules.
If it doesn't work, be sure the text your making the rule on is correct. Try putting the name in the field and delete the rest of it to see if it works.

If you have other rules set up, you may look at what rules fire after to make sure none are changing it again. If so, either put it after that rule or add another line for mail to stop evaluating rules.

Addition: I would assume that any recipients would mean "TO", CC", & "BCC" fields combined.

Message was edited by: Glenn Leblanc

Mar 17, 2011 11:14 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Ok...
I made more tests...

It seems "any recipients" does not include "From" as Glenn sugested.

Also, If I use the mail as "My Nice NAme <my.nice.name@mail.com>" it won't work, but if you put "my.nice.name@mail.com" it will.

This can be confusing, the if you see the raw source of the email, the "My Nice Name" can be different, depending on the email (for example: "Name, My Nice")

Thanks All!

Mar 17, 2011 2:07 PM in response to mcortesi

Previous recipients does not include "From". Recipients are the people get the email. If you send, they are recipient. If you recieve, you and whoever else it's addressed to are the recipients. TO, CC, BCC are recipient fields.

Most (if not all) valid emails do contain the actual address in the field. Only some get thru as hidden, but are usually junk. Some junk spam mails get thru as "Apparently TO" in the Expanded header field, but that's probably not included in the field of recipients that rules check.
I'm not sure what the periods do. They may split the address into separate words, but that's a guess form me.

*If you're putting the quotation marks in the rule box*, remember that one of the recipient fields of an email *will have to contain the exact text* to match what's in the rule (for at least one of the complete words) . Example: <"> in rules field will not match <myname@ *> in the recipient field of an email.

Without the quotation marks in the rules field, it will search the recipient fields for any part that contain that string of letters. Example: <myname> in rules field will match <myname@ *> in the email recipient field of an email.

Hope this makes sense.

Mar 17, 2011 2:50 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

*If you're putting the quotation marks in the rule box*, remember that one of the recipient fields of an email *will have to contain the exact text* to match what's in the rule (for at least one of the complete words) . Example: * "myname" * in rules field will not match <myname@ *> in the recipient field of an email.

Without the quotation marks in the rules field, it will search the recipient fields for any part that contain that string of letters. Example: <myname> in rules field will match <myname@ *> in the email recipient field of an email.

Sorry, the first try left out the words in the quotation field. The above text should show corrected. Had to take the arrows out to show the text in quotation.

Rule with "Any Recipient" not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.