Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages Slow - Long Lag Time

I'm importing a Pages document that I created on my Mac Mini at work to edit on my iPad 2. I'm having a problem in that there is a terrible lag time as I edit -typing, deleting, adding text, etc. I can push 5-10 keystrokes before anything actually happens in the document.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone provide any answers?

Thanks!

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz, 4 meg ram, 250 gig hd 5400 rpm

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 8:54 AM

13 replies

Mar 25, 2011 1:47 PM in response to GNRBeaumont

OK, I've reported the problem to the feedback link provided. Am I supposed to hear something from Apple?

This is crazy. I'm preparing the document in Pages on my Mac Mini at work, saving the file to iDisk, and then importing it from iDisk onto my iPad 2.

The text imports properly, but then when I try to use bold, underline, italics, or change the color or size of the font - nothing!

Is anyone else facing this problem? Any other suggestions?

Mar 29, 2011 9:58 AM in response to jettrap

I'm am also experiencing the same problem. My pages for what ever reason has a delayed response time when i input text. I just noticed this after installing ios4.3.1, don't know if that has anything to do with it but it is much slower now. That is the only issue I have come accross for now. Has anyone figured this out?

Mar 31, 2011 3:47 PM in response to rwgleaves

I don't know if either of these threads will be of any use to you but take a look just in case. These two points stand out to me:

1. If an imported document contains fonts that the iPad does not have - that seems to cause slow typing issues.
2. The other weird thing seems to be that imported documents - created on their computers and sent to the iPad - cause slow typing issues.

One poster said his "fix" was to send the file to the iPad, then back to the computer, then back to the iPad and the lagging ended. Read the post by User jgiano2 in the first thread - next to the last post.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13052733&#13052733

The second thread talks about font issues causing problems.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12967193&#12967193

Nov 7, 2011 5:01 PM in response to JimHdk

This fix worked for me on my iPad2. My problem was slow typing of anything. I could type an entire sentence and nothing would show up until the end of the sentence. Then the letters would appear slowly. Don't know if the problem is only with the iPad2, but this never happened on my iPad1. This was a really frustrating problem. I even deleted apps. Because someone told me the problem was caused by my apps. Using my current location. Thanks for the help!

Nov 9, 2011 12:55 AM in response to Beige1997

I now have iPad2 (A5 dual 512MB ) and iPod4 ( A4 solo 256 MB ), both loaded with iwork 1.5 and iOS5 . Let me report :

I think Apple accidently have optimized iOS5 and apps too agressively for the A5 processors of ipad2 and iphone4s. - ipad1, ipod4 and iphone4 run on the A4 chip.. and these are the devices that lag the most.

My keyboard is set to german plus additionally 2 international keyboards, so I can switch input characters when typing.

From what I see : on pad no typing issues so far - all can be left as it is.

iPod had severe issues in typing. SO I started digging around ( I even restored iOS on it it, but no cure ).

To make a long story short -- in iPod4 it helped succesfully to

disable the auto-completion and auto correction features in the keyboard settings and do a reboot:

where you can shorten often used phrases like: "otw" = "on the way" - I hope you know what I mean. Delete them all. Pages seems to lag on the iPod in such a way that it tries to foresee what I am going to type, "thinking" if it is a sentence or a phrase and if it needs correction.. The A4 cpu ( same as in iphone4 ) seems a bit overloaded with this. And to make things worse the tight memory of the iPod adds to the bad performace. The iPad2 has a faster processor and double the Ram ( this would match also the iphone4s hardware ) , and like I said the issues there are non-present for me on the pad.

Additionally it helped to limit spotlight search radius, so that it not constantly monitors changes in the device ( apps,contacts and music only for me - as these do not change that often and with a one time index it is done).

iOS5 is buggy in very few features, but there heavily. The high cpu/memory usage, the fast battery draining are the worst. I positively see the 5.0.1 update coming soon to adress this. Reports from Developers and a vague anouncement from Apple to adress "battery life" soon indicate there is help on the horizon.

Pages Slow - Long Lag Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.