Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 3G and Wifi issues

Just started using my new iPad 2, I'm a prior iPad 1 user. Noticed some issues with wifi and 3G. When connecting to a wifi net, it will connect while in settings (shows ip and wifi icon) but once switching to safari it will drop the connection after a few seconds. Seems to work after you turn off wifi at least two times. Also does not seem to work well when 3G is enabled. Ive signed up for a verizon plan but it keeps telling me im not signed up. Totally different behavior from iPad 1 and my iPhone 4 works just fine on the same network as does my MacBook pro. Anyone else seeing wifi/3G issues?

iPad 2, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 2:27 PM

Hi,

Try resetting network settings...

Tap Settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings.

Restart the iPad.

If that didn't help, try this link for Wi Fi and 3G support.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

Carolyn 🙂
8 replies

Mar 17, 2011 6:47 PM in response to Seth Cossio

Sorry that ur having problems. I did see another thread, actually, talking about the same thing. People were having wifi issues with their iPad 2. Do a search for wifi ipad 2. You'll find a couple of threads probably.

I hope you find a solution. FWIW, with my iPad 1, I originally had an older netgear router and had problems. I wanted to get a new, more up to date router anyway and decided on an Apple Airport Extreme and i never had anymore issues. All's well with my iPad 2.

Good luck.
iPhoNettie

Mar 18, 2011 3:28 AM in response to Seth Cossio

I think I now understand what's going on.
I have only the iPad 1 but I got the same problem.

Let me tell you what happened. I changed my ISP and with this came a new router model. Immediatly I could see problems with my iGadgets to get a wifi stable connection. They could detect the network, they were strong signals, but they kept being unavailable to reach out for the internet, navigate in connected apps, etc.

They were all running iOS4.2

then I changed my routers settings and put a mixed b/g/n connection. And all the problems were gone.

then iOS4.3. came and the problems started again.

What I found very strange was that neither before or after the iOS update I ever had any problems with my wifi connection at the office (by coincidence the same ISP I previously had at home).
So, when I updated my iPad and iPhone to iOS 4.3, even with b/g/n wifi settings I was back to the wifi problems. Right now, I can't be more than 5 minutes connected to the internet.

so, fortuately I didn't updated my gf's iPhone. And she's still on 4.2. Guess what? she doesn't have any wifi problems. This lead me to one conclusion: the problem is iOS4.3

But how to explain that iOS4.3. works flawlessly at the office and gives so much trouble at home? I think that this is due to the routers. So, iOS 4.3 is haveing severe problems with wifi connections with certain router brands.

That's why some people complain but not all.

I have a Thompson TG784 at the office and it works OK
At home it's a Hitron BVW-3653

I hope apple can reproduce the problem and quickly fix it for iOS4.3.1

Mar 19, 2011 11:28 AM in response to Seth Cossio

What I can't understand is why after buying a $800 product I have to go and read 100s of posts to make tis product work.I got the full package light bleed wifi issues ,I have to reconnect every 10-15 min.apple support made me drive to the store,the store told me they can give me a paper to state the issues but they have no replacements"try at a later date or another store".Overall I lost a lot of time and money(my car uses gas to move around) and still no results.I think Apple really rushed out this product in light of the new tablets arriving ,and they really skipped some tests.Buggy product,Im really really disappointed !

Mar 19, 2011 2:50 PM in response to Seth Cossio

I've discovered one thing that seems to have improved things.

I was noticing that connectivity was spotty to a wifi network while 3G was on. So under Reset/Subscriber Services, I reset the Reprovision Account option. This seemed to fix the 3G issues (none in the last two days) and made the wifi run more consistently.

Not sure how or why this would work but I'm thinking it has something to do with having a Verizon version and restoring to it. The restore must have included some carrier specific settings that made 3G spotty. I still have some issues with Wifi but for now, it's not that bad.

Jun 6, 2011 3:58 PM in response to Alexandr3

Have exactly the same problem, and started after upgraded to version 4.3.3, before no problem.

Have the same router (from ZON - Hitron BVW3653 Board).

Callled the provider they confirmed that there are some reported problems with apple products (iPad 1/2). Case was closed pls contact Apple for support, they said. The fact is i had other computers at home (not apple) and they never loose connection. Just my iPad and MacBook Pro, have this problems.

Thanks,

Pedro

iPad 2 3G and Wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.