Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging safari windows

Is there a way to merge just some of my safari windows, instead of all of them? If I have window A,B, C, and D open, how can I merge A and B into one window and leave C and D as separate windows?

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 7:07 PM

9 replies

Aug 21, 2012 7:36 PM in response to John Burroughs

OR

if you don't want to merge all the windows, click "show tab bar" from the view menu on the window you want to merge into. Then, click and drag the little icon next to the web address from your 2nd window onto the newly created tab bar on your first. (You can also do this with any tabs from any windows in Safari).

Bam! Selective merging FTW!

Mar 5, 2014 12:10 PM in response to John Burroughs

You can also highlight the web address of the window you want to combine, and drag it to the little "add tab" button on the other window.

For example, you have windows A, B, C, and D. You want to leave C and D alone. To combine A and B, make it so you can see both windows, then copy the address of window B and drag it to the "add tab" button on window A at the far right near the top. It's a little plus sign, if you don't know!

If you can get past the confusing part of my entire blurb, it actually works really well! 🙂

Apr 12, 2014 4:25 PM in response to John Burroughs

I'm a little late to the game but you can create a shortcut in the "Keyboard" section of the System Preferences. I'll make a quick step-by-step:

-From System Preferences, click Keyboard.

-Go to the Shortcuts tab.

-Click App Shortcuts then the + button.

-Select Safari as the app you want to create the shortcut for and fill out Menu Title with "Merge All Windows" and make a keyboard combination (I used Shift+Command+W).

-Try it out to make sure it works correctly and then you're done!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Jul 14, 2014 7:24 AM in response to daniellebrooket

Danielle wrote: "You can also highlight the web address of the window you want to combine, and drag it to the little "add tab" button on the other window.

For example, you have windows A, B, C, and D. You want to leave C and D alone. To combine A and B, make it so you can see both windows, then copy the address of window B and drag it to the "add tab" button on window A at the far right near the top. It's a little plus sign, if you don't know!

If you can get past the confusing part of my entire blurb, it actually works really well!"

THIS!!! Danielle has nailed it. Thanks, Danielle.

Merging safari windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.