Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot backup because backup is corrupt

When I attach my iPhone to sync I am getting a message after the top menu says it is backing up the phone: "ITunes cannot backup the iPhone because the backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone--delete the backup for this iPhone, then try again". I have already mistakenly done a restore and lost a lot of my contacts because this message appeared and I could not figure how to delete the backup. Now after the restore I am still getting the message. How do I delete the backup and try again so I am able to sync? Thanks, POOTYDavid

HP laptop, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 7:30 PM

48 replies

Sep 26, 2017 5:16 PM in response to POOTYDavid

This is a huge problem! I lost ALL of my data on my iPhone because a 'Senior Advisor' instructed me to delete all date from my iPhone and restore from back up only to discover EVERY backup I had as of recent was corrupt! What a nightmare!!! I had to restore my iPhone from anew which was a huge time hassle as well as loosing all recent photos and videos (that were important). Where the advisor went wrong, and where my intuition was right and I am kicking myself for not listening to my own gut instinct, was to not guide me to make another backup of my phones data BEFORE wiping the phone and trying to restore from backup. I am not a fan of iCloud, but for such an instance backing things up like my most recent photos and such in the cloud (or even on my Mac) BEFORE doing the restore would have been the way to go. The fact that they did not eve suggest it and missed this whole no apparent awareness of corrupt backup's is a gigantic thumbs down for Apple. Customer relations has heard from me loud and clear on this one!

Aug 14, 2011 8:51 AM in response to jefffromholland landing

thank you! i had to make sure i closed iTunes first before deleting the files. had to go into one of the folders and delete most of the entries (i guess the folder was still in use somehow) but i can finally backup, sync, and download updates.

apple should include an option to wipe exisiting backups. this only happened after I started to sync more than one device to my machine.

iTunes cannot backup because backup is corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.