Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change "Applications" directory location association

I recently installed a solid state drive that is not large enough to hold my entire system, but is large enough to hold all my applications. I've copied my applications folder over to the SSD drive, but, the system still associates with the applications on the HD, for instance, clicking the apple at the top left, and then opening System Preferences will open System Preferences from the original HD. Also, when I search Spotlight or LaunchBar for an application, it also associated with the folder on the HD.

How can I force the system to associate with the Applications folder on the SSD? So that all updates to applications go to that drive, etc.

Thank you for any help.

Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.53 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 9:40 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2011 9:57 AM in response to ilzmaster

You need to first either delete the Applications folder on the HDD or rename it to something like Applications.old. Then select the icon of the Applications folder on the SSD, Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window and select Make Alias from the menu. Drag the alias over to the HDD where your now renamed Applications folder is located. Rename the alias by removing " alias" from its filename. Now all calls to the Applications folder will find the one on the SSD instead of on the HDD.

You can use a shortcut for making the alias by holding down the OPTION and COMMAND keys then drag the icon of the Applications folder on the SSD over to the HDD. This obviates the need to rename the alias.

Mar 18, 2011 1:13 PM in response to ilzmaster

I am not sure an Alias will work for all cases. It might be better to create a Unix symlink. That is to say from the terminal

sudo mv /Applications /Applications.original
sudo ln -s /Volumes/otherDiskName/Applications /Applications

The /Volumes/otherDiskName/Applications MUST be the real path to your new Applications folder.

There are some GUI utilities for creating Unix symlinks if using the Terminal is not something you wish to do. Search for 'symlink' on <http://MacUpdate.com>

Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM in response to BobHarris

Although the symlink also works, I've never had a problem with Mac aliases for anything that was outside of System, Library, or /Home/Library folders. At least not in my experience. I only tend to use one or the other (or both) when testing system software preferring to keep everything on one drive/volume for simplicity. User uploaded file

Change "Applications" directory location association

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.