Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken accelerometer - Ipad 2 will not rotate - Stuck in portrait mode

There are a couple other posts about this, but one of them was fixed by rebooting and the other was where someone had the side switch set to lock orientation.

I have tried every combination of switch setting (mute/orientation lock) and rebooting but nothing works. It appears to be a problem with the accelerometer. I downloaded the labyrinth game to test it out and the ball just sits in the corner. No amount of shaking will move it.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

iPad 2, iOS 4, iPad 2, rotation, orientation, portrait mode, accelerometer

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 12:25 PM

42 replies

Mar 18, 2011 12:36 PM in response to newanalog

I know, I was just interested to see if anyone else had the problem.

I forgot to mention that it happened once after I installed Garage Band and rebooting did fix the problem. But, it has since happened again and rebooting does not fix it. If a restore fixes the problem it may just be some software issue. If not, I bet it'll take forever for Best Buy to get more in stock and trade it out for me.

So, is anyone else having problems with the accelerometer?

Mar 18, 2011 8:51 PM in response to newanalog

You may have purchased it from Best Buy, however, this is a warranty issue and you may take it to any Apple Store or other Authorized Apple Service Provider for warranty coverage. With the proper appointment for an Apple Genius, they will need to take the decision to repair or replace the iPad for you. Make sure that you have a complete backup in iTunes in case you bring home a brand new iPad.

User uploaded file
Dah•veed

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2011 8:55 PM in response to newanalog

Try a System Reset:
Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears.

A System Reset does not remove any apps, music, movies, etc. nor does it cause any settings to revert back to default.

Also, you might wish to download the iPad-2 User Guide. Pay special attention to page 162. Note that this Guide also applies to the iPad-1 with IOS 4.3 except for those functions that are not supported by the hardware.
http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

Finally, the User Guide can be downloaded at no charge via iBooks and a less comprehensive version of the Guide is included as a Safari bookmark.

Mar 19, 2011 8:58 AM in response to newanalog

Try a System Reset:
Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears.

A System Reset does not remove any apps, music, movies, etc. nor does it cause any settings to revert back to default.

Also, you might wish to download the iPad-2 User Guide. Pay special attention to page 162. Note that this Guide also applies to the iPad-1 with IOS 4.3 except for those functions that are not supported by the hardware.
http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

Finally, the User Guide can be downloaded at no charge via iBooks and a less comprehensive version of the Guide is included as a Safari bookmark.

Broken accelerometer - Ipad 2 will not rotate - Stuck in portrait mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.