Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Select from Dropdown Menus with Keyboard?

Hello,

I can't for the life of me figure out how to select dropdown menu items with my keyboard. I generally use my keyboard for this kind of thing as much as possible, so this has been bothering me for awhile.

Does anyone know how I can select items from the following image with my keyboard?

http://tigbond.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/apple-dropdown.png

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 9:47 PM

14 replies

Mar 18, 2011 10:22 PM in response to tigbond

I don't see a dropdown menu in that picture.
All I saw was a dialog sheet with buttons.

However, if that is what you meant, or you really meant dropdown menus, you can access them by turning on Full Keyboard Access in the Keyboard System Preferneces.

With All Controls selected, you can tab through the controls and use the spacebar to activate the highlighted item.

Also, for most dialogs, you can type cmd-first letter of the button. Return selects the default button (filled) and esc selects the cancel button.

May 25, 2011 12:12 PM in response to tigbond

Oh, I ALWAYS wanted to know that. But yeah, your picture is not right. I knew how to do what Barney-15E said but thats not what I wanna know. I want to know how to select items from a dropdown menu using arrow keys. Thats something I used to do on Photoshop for PC that I never managed to do on a mac. Hard to admit that thou 🙂

May 25, 2011 3:17 PM in response to cassiofm

cassiofm wrote:

Oh, I ALWAYS wanted to know that. But yeah, your picture is not right. I knew how to do what Barney-15E said but thats not what I wanna know. I want to know how to select items from a dropdown menu using arrow keys. Thats something I used to do on Photoshop for PC that I never managed to do on a mac. Hard to admit that thou 🙂

Once you are in the dropdown menu, the arrow keys should move you around in the menu, so I'm not sure what it is you can't do.

May 25, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

I just discovered somethings...

One problem that I had with dropdown menus was in Photoshop for Mac and it was the Layer Blend Mode. On PC is like you said: select it then use arrow keys. But not on a Mac! Here its shift+/shift- to cycle thru these options. This saves a lot of time when trying new effects and its great not having to click and select each one of the drop down menu options. But whenever you clic on the drop down menu it will never give you the option of using arrow keys, you either click on an item with the mouse or use the shortcuts...

The other problem I always had was with Pages. I still have it by the way. Whenever I try to experiment with different fonts on a word I have to highlight the word, click on the Fonts drop down menu and select the font. If I want to try a new one I have to do it all again. There is no way I can click on the drop down and then use the arrow keys. And you know what's funny? You CAN do this on Photoshop! If you try to use text on Photoshop and want to experiment fonts you CAN click on the fonts drop down menu and use arrow keys.

May 25, 2011 3:44 PM in response to cassiofm

Adobe probably rolls its own menuing system, as they do with every other part of their ugly, annoying UI.

The Font panel doesn't respond to arrow keys, and since it is a panel, the arrow keys get sent to the document. A panel floats above the working documents allowing you to continue working on the document in the background. The Font panel appears to only respond to mouse clicks.

May 25, 2011 4:21 PM in response to cassiofm

In the font panel, if you first click on the panel's title bar to give the window focus, you can then navigate within each column with the arrow keys and navigate between columns by pressing tab.

You can tell the panel has proper focus when its close & max buttons turn red & green respectively. Also the current column or field will have a highlight around it.

May 25, 2011 4:33 PM in response to Seph

Yes!! It worked! Thanks Seph!! Now why isn't it easier and more obvious like on bloody Microsoft Word? I just love Apple but some details like this are really annoying.

But thanks, that solved a big mystery for me 😀

Now since I'm getting such a fast and quality feedback, let me ask something completely disconnected to this topic but that's been annoying me equally: is there a way to extract a specific file from inside a RAR or ZIP and send it to a specific folder without unzipping/rar all other files? All RAR/ZIP extractors I tried just extract everything from inside a compacted file and the most I could get of a destination folder was a new folder with the name of the file. 😕

How to Select from Dropdown Menus with Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.