Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deciphering Hynix RAM options for Westmere 6-core

I was looking into 8 GB RAM options for new new refurbished MacPro5,1 3.33 GHz.

Hynix has no less than 8 different 8 GB DIMMs that fit the bill!

I added notes based on what I saw on an Intel® memory configurator site:

http://serverconfigurator.intel.com/configure-memory.aspx?id=Mzk4MCMxLDM4NDQjMg= =&ShowNavigation=false

Name Notes

HMT31GR7AFR4A-H9 *Not 8 bank; older (2009); low-voltage(?); 512x4; has thermal sensor*
HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 *Not 8 bank; older (2009); normal voltage; 512x4; no thermal sensor(?)*
HMT31GR7AFR8A-H9 *Not 8 bank; older (2009); low-voltage(?); thermal sensor(?)*
HMT31GR7AFR8C-H9 *Not 8 bank; older (2009); normal voltage; thermal sensor unknown(?)*

HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9 *8 bank; newer (2010); low-voltage(?); 512x4*
HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 *8 bank; newer (2010); normal voltage; 512x4; has thermal sensor*
HMT31GR7BFR8A-H9 *8 bank; newer (2010); low-voltage(?); thermal sensor unknown(?)*
HMT31GR7BFR8C-H9 *8 bank; newer (2010); normal voltage; has thermal sensor*

That's quite a variation! I know that Apple requires the thermal sensor, so that eliminates some.

(The 4A/4C-H9 vs. 8A/8C-H9 seems to be DIMM size, not 4 GB vs. 8 GB - these are all 8 GB DIMMs.)

The Intel® page says the "low-voltage" ones can only be used with Xeon 5600 CPUs; of which mine is one. True? I haven't seen any reference so far that says "low-voltage" DIMMs can be used in a Mac Pro.

There's quite a difference in price between the "A"FR and "B"FR models, too - anywhere from US $30 ( SuperBiiz ) to well over $100! What's funny is that it's the older "A"FR series that is the more expensive. I have no idea why???

Yes - I know I'm overthinking this 🙂

But it's still a bit confusing ... I am leaning towards the HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9D7 model because it's got the thermal sensor, it's newer, it's (inexplicably) cheaper, and I can actually find it for same on-line.

2006 MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.16 GHz Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2 GB RAM/320 GB disk

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 3:32 AM

16 replies

Mar 19, 2011 9:37 AM in response to Greg Earle

You can do the large amount of research needed to develop the expertise to specify your memories, but most users buy from a vendor that knows Macs, and can tell them what memories will work in their Mac. A Money-back guarantee ensures the the vendor sends you the correct memories.

Lifetime Warranty is also standard. This encourages Vendors to sell only the highest quality DIMMs.

Your Mac can use up to 8GB DIMMs, but Apple does not yet support 8GB DIMMs (at market prices). That makes it even more important to buy from a Vendor that will support what they sell.

In the US, 8GB DIMMs are being sold by:
Macsales.com (Other World Computing)
DataMemorySystems.com
MemorytoGo.com
RAMJet.com
TransIntl.com

all above except transintl.com (which is showing cheapest 8GB prices at this writing) are shown on:

http://www.ramseeker.com/memory/MacPro_RAM_Upgrade_Kits_DDR3_1333_with_8GBRAM/

Crucial is sometimes listed as a vendor on search sites, but they are not yet ready to ship AND SUPPORT these denser DIMMs at this writing.

Availability of 8GB DIMMs in Europe still appears to be a problem.

Message was edited by: Grant Bennet-Alder

Mar 19, 2011 10:18 AM in response to japamac

@japamac - no, 1.5V vs. 1.35V. "Low Voltage" is 1.35V according to Hynix's 2nd half of 2010 Product Catalog (which I just found).

It looks like the HMT351R7AFR *-* series have been phased out and superseded by HMT351R7CFR *-* (Q1 2011) entries.

The catalog just lists HMT351R7BFR**-H9 entries and new HMT351R7BFR**-PB (1600 MHz/CL 11) entries now.

So that just leaves

HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 (512Mx4/FBGA (82ball, 12.5mm x 15.5mm)/Rank 2)
HMT31GR7CFR4C-H9 (512Mx4/FBGA (78ball, 9mm x 11.5mm)/Rank 2)

HMT31GR7BFR8C-H9 (256Mx8/FBGA (82ball, 12.5mm x 15.5mm)/Rank 4)
HMT31GR7CFR8C-H9 (256Mx8/FBGA (78ball, 9mm x 11.5mm)/Rank 4)

as possibilities. (I don't know which "ball" size is right, or which "Rank" is preferable, if any.)

I'm still going to guess that HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 would be appropriate for a 2010 Mac Pro. 😀

Mar 19, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Greg Earle

Does Hynix even sell Retail?

Most manufacturers have a 1000-piece or higher minimum order. They are not geared up to sell to you quantity one, accept your credit card, package in small quantities, ship less than a trailer truck load, or handle defects and returns.

Suppose you get the wrong one and it does not work? They have no mechanism to accept returns or give you a refund.

You need a Retailer, with SUPPORT!

Mar 20, 2011 7:52 AM in response to Greg Earle

You need UNregistered, ECC memory, DDR3-1333 for your Mac Pro 2010 Westmere.
Registered memory is another name for Fully Buffered memory, used in 2008 and previous.
Installing Non-ECC memory in your top-of-the-line Mac Pro will turn off Error Correction, a Bad Idea.

When I enter that in their Server memory selector, "10 parts qualify". They are all 2GB or smaller.

Mar 20, 2011 8:23 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:
You need UNregistered, ECC memory, DDR3-1333 for your Mac Pro 2010 Westmere.
Registered memory is another name for Fully Buffered memory, used in 2008 and previous.

Please don't spread misinformation. Registered memory allows for more modules, and more higher capacity memory as well as higher speed memory. It has nothing to do with Fully-Buffered Memory *at all*. Fully Buffered memory was also known as RAMBUS or RDRAM and it is only on pre-2009/pre-nehalem Mac Pro's.

From Apple's Web site:
+"Depending on the processors you choose, the dual-processor Mac Pro uses the following types of memory:+

+2.4GHz quad-core processors: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM+
+2.66GHz and 2.93GHz 6-core processors: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM+
+8GB DIMMs (48GB or 64GB configurations): 1333MHz DDR3 ECC R-DIMM SDRAM+
+The SDRAM in Mac Pro uses an advanced memory technology that is not only fast, but also reliable. ECC provides this added layer of reliability by automatically correcting memory errors if they occur.+

+Mac Pro supports 8GB registered DIMMs (R-DIMMs) for up to 64GB of memory in 8-Core and 12-Core systems. R-DIMMs cannot be mixed with unregistered DIMMs."+

You won't be able to use 8GB unregistered modules effectively. If you do get them, they will run slower and/or you won't be able to max out your Mac Pro. Not good.

Also, although I haven't been able to prove it, from reading posts in the forums here it appears that the 2GB and 4GB modules that Apple sells are dual ranked, and all 8GB modules are quad ranked. You can't mix rankings in the same memory bank, and putting say, 4GB modules in one bank and 8GB modules in another will unbalance the RAM for each CPU and could lead to other performance issues.

If you are thinking of ever using 8GB modules, you are better off just starting with them.

Unless you can max out with 16GB via 2GB modules for $300 like I was able to 🙂 If I ever need more than 16GB, I won't feel that bad about replacing all my RAM. For now, 16GB is more than enough - between putting my Aperture libraries on an SSD and the 16GB of RAM, Aperture FLIES on my Mac Pro.

Installing Non-ECC memory in your top-of-the-line Mac Pro will turn off Error Correction, a Bad Idea.

On this I do agree - trying to save literally a few dollars by not getting ECC memory is just crazy for computers that average over $3K in price when configured.

Message was edited by: Eric Eskam

Message was edited by: Eric Eskam

Mar 20, 2011 8:29 PM in response to Eric Eskam

Thanks Eric. I knew Grant was wrong about the unregistered RAM but I've been away all day and couldn't respond.

The interesting thing about a statement like "+Mac Pro supports 8GB registered DIMMs (R-DIMMs) for up to 64GB of memory in 8-Core and 12-Core systems. R-DIMMs cannot be mixed with unregistered DIMMs+." is that, do they mean you can only use R-DIMMs in dual-processor systems? What about my single 6-core Westmere? I would have thought that the memory systems in both the single and dual-processor systems were the same, except for the duals having another full bank of 4 slots. Is there any difference between the 2 banks of 4?

One thing we all agree on - I definitely wouldn't use anything but ECC memory!

(I still bet I could use that $146.99 DIMM that SuperBiiz sells 😀 )

Mar 20, 2011 10:15 PM in response to Greg Earle

Greg Earle wrote:
The interesting thing about a statement like "+Mac Pro supports 8GB registered DIMMs (R-DIMMs) for up to 64GB of memory in 8-Core and 12-Core systems. R-DIMMs cannot be mixed with unregistered DIMMs+." is that, do they mean you can only use R-DIMMs in dual-processor systems? What about my single 6-core Westmere? I would have thought that the memory systems in both the single and dual-processor systems were the same, except for the duals having another full bank of 4 slots. Is there any difference between the 2 banks of 4?

I don't think so. I think they are more referring to the 64GB limit only applying to the two-socket systems. The only thing different, other than one CPU down is four less slots. R-DIMMs should work fine in the single socket machines.

Mar 21, 2011 6:38 AM in response to Eric Eskam

Sorry Eric, I believe you are correct. The FB-DIMM Vs R-DIMM distinction was lost on me.

I stand corrected, and I apologize for spreading confusion on this issue. It was not deliberate.

--------

Memory selection is complex. I continue to advocate for Mac Pro owners to buy from a Vendor that will stand by their product with a money-back guarantee. This is the best defense against getting stuck with expensive modules that do not work.

Mar 21, 2011 3:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Memory selection is complex. I continue to advocate for Mac Pro owners to buy from a Vendor that will stand by their product with a money-back guarantee. This is the best defense against getting stuck with expensive modules that do not work.

Nothing wrong with that philosophy 🙂 Maybe I'll be the guinea pig. Especially if it can save me $270!

Deciphering Hynix RAM options for Westmere 6-core

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.