Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem as Mac Mail scales down my attachments

Hi,
When sending attachments in Mac Mail my old MacBookPro scales down the size of attachments from for example 435 KB to 43 KB. I have some attachments I need to let go as as big as possible. Where do I adjust the attachment size?
Please advice,
pyry

 MBP 15" 2,66 GHz, i7, 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SRAM 2x4GB, 1TB 5400rpm., Mac OS X (10.6.5),  2xTime Capsule 1TB  iPhone4 32GB,  iPod 5gen 30GB,  iPod Nano 4 GB

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 11:31 AM

On my Mails I send, on the bottom right of the message window is a pull-down menu for image size, where I can choose, "actual size, small, medium, large." I think this is only for compressible images. On the left of the window is the size. Is your situation different?
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2011 11:31 AM in response to pyry

On my Mails I send, on the bottom right of the message window is a pull-down menu for image size, where I can choose, "actual size, small, medium, large." I think this is only for compressible images. On the left of the window is the size. Is your situation different?

Mar 19, 2011 2:25 PM in response to louie

Thanks louie for your response.
On the right I can choose which signature i want to use. On the left I can choose level of urgency etc. I do not seem to find the place you are talking about.
Wait a minute, - I did find it if I send a picture from Aperture via mail. Then it gives file size on the lower left and a chance to choose attachment size on the lower right. If I compose a regular mail with an attachment it does not give me this option.
Could it be that this feature can be switched on somewhere, but I have not found the place for it.
regards,
pyry

Mar 19, 2011 3:23 PM in response to pyry

If I compose a regular mail with an attachment it does not give me this option.

You only have the option if you drag the picture to the body of the email. Option does not appear for "attachments."

Could it be that this feature can be switched on somewhere, but I have not found the place for it.

No. That is not to say, it can be done in Terminal. Someone else will need to answer that for you.

Mar 20, 2011 8:08 AM in response to pyry

Hi p,

Which OS are you running?

pyry wrote:
I solved the problem by downloading an app "Attachment Tamer 3.0.1" and combining that with the drag and drop approach.

I'm running 10.6.6 on a 2.5GHz MBP (Original). If I'm understanding correctly, you shouldn't need that app for what you want to do.

It doesn't matter if I drag and drop an attachment into the body of an email in Mail, or if I use the paperclip icon to attach something, if the image is "compatible," it shows up in the bottom right and left of the email window, as has already been noted. If this is the case, then all that needs to be done is select "Actual" and the attachment will be the actual size of the original (plus some overhead).

If the image is not "compatible" for compression via the Mail app, then it is attached full/actual size, which I thought is what you want. If that's the case, there is no need to run the image through another app.

Is your experience different?

Mar 20, 2011 8:26 AM in response to tjk

Hi tjk,
Technically you are absolutely right. However when I drag and drop attachments some of them remain as icons and others open up (and show the full page). If I enclose 10 attachments my mail looks a mess in my own machine. The app mentioned makes sure that all attachments remain as icons, and hence I get a better overview of what I am doing.
This problem is independent of the drag and drop or the "adding" of an attachment technique. I just wanted to describe clearly what I am doing and maybe help some one who has had the same problem as I with the attachments behaving inconsistently.
I liked your attentiveness!
regards,
pyry (OS 10.6.6)

Mar 20, 2011 8:31 AM in response to pyry

pyry wrote:
when I drag and drop attachments some of them remain as icons and others open up (and show the full page). If I enclose 10 attachments my mail looks a mess in my own machine. The app mentioned makes sure that all attachments remain as icons, and hence I get a better overview of what I am doing.

Understood. Thought you were just looking for the uncompressed image. Glad you found what you need. 😉

Mar 20, 2011 2:32 PM in response to pyry

Hi pyry and tjk, I'm the developer of Attachment Tamer. I hope you don't mind if I chime in: You're right that the icon/in-place and downsizing issues are independent. But there's one thing Attachment Tamer can help with: Mail always remembers the last used size and then automatically uses it the next time you insert (large enough) images. As a result, people often send scaled down images unknowingly. With Attachment Tamer you can set the default size for resizing permanently to "Actual Size" and use the resizing menu only when your really want to.

“I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.”

Problem as Mac Mail scales down my attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.