Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to improve sound of an AVI file

Newbie coming from PC, can you please help?

I have an AVI files (extracts from operas) which I need to use for my work. As the sound is rather poor when viewing it on the Macbook Pro 17, I'd like to know whether it is possible to improve the sound either to view it on screen or by burning it (I have Toast 10 Titanium). Perhaps it needs to be converted?
If so, how?

The following is the description given for the file:720/576 pixel- 1200Kbps- (video)
192Kbps - MP3 - 44100 Hz (audio).

I'd be so grateful for any help I can get, as this is very important just now.

Macbook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 9:18 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2011 3:59 PM in response to Niel

I've tried playing the file on my PC and the sound is worse that what I get on the MAC. ( Must say that the PC is on his way out and I can't convert anything on it).

The file has been passed on to me by an Italian singer who has probably recorded and kept, the actual performance goes back to 1969 and no recording can be found on the market, so I am disappointed to hear that nothing can be done about it, as I said I'm not experienced on this matters.

I am very grateful for your time and kindness to answer.
Best.
Ina

Mar 19, 2011 5:40 PM in response to Ina55

It is not true that nothing can be done, but as this is an old recording (tape) it has enormous limitations in some basic parameters, noise, distortion and tempo irregularities will be many times higher than a digital recording.

That said there are companies who can improve the audio, question is how much is it worth, about 2 to 3 hundred dollars per hour.

Over to you

Message was edited by: Csound1

Mar 20, 2011 7:20 AM in response to Csound1

The file is important to me but I can't spend that kind of money on it. In fact, the sound is low but good, meaning that there is not distortion of any kind. I've burnt it with Toast and I can now watch it on my dvd recorder on tv using high sound level. It's not the ideal situation, I'd rather have the file on my Mac screen, but i must be grateful for what I have.

Many thanks for your time.
Best.
Ina

Mar 20, 2011 9:11 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

The issue is not the way the copy was made but that the original is poor, very minor improvements may be possible using equalization or compression but not much. Increasing the level of the track will only increase the noise by the same amount.

You can successively increase the samplingrate all you like but you'll get a better copy of a bad original, if it was a perfect copy it would be identical.

Mar 20, 2011 9:39 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Depends what you mean by 'fix', increasing the output level (as I stated in my previous post) will make the music 'louder' it will also increase the tape noise (hiss). As the signal to noise ratio is low (from tape in the 60's no better than -55 to -65db turning up the output by 6db (x4) will also make the noise 6db louder!

The only change you'll get from using GB to increase output will be how far you have to turn the volume on the tv up.

Apr 1, 2015 9:07 PM in response to Ina55

You may try iDealshare VideoGo to increase the volume of a video at Video Audio Volume Booster -Increase Audio Volume in AVI, MOV, MP3, MP4, WAV
Working as an Audio Volume Booster, iDealshare VideoGo can easily boost sound volume for almost all kinds of audio file like increase MP3 volume, increase WAV volume, increase FLAC volume, increase AAC volume, increase AC3 volume, M4A, WMA, AU, DTS, AIFF, OGG, MP2, APE, OPUS, CAF, VOC, etc.

Working as a Video Volume Booster, iDealshare VideoGo helps you raise audio volume for all video files like increase MP4 volume, increase MOV volume, increase AVI volume, WMV, FLV, AVCHD, MKV, MXF, WebM, SWF, OGV, 3GP, ASF, RMVB, etc.

iDealshare VideoGo also has a feature of increase sound volume as well as change the source file format like convert the source audio or video files to other more compatible audio or video formats.

How to improve sound of an AVI file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.