Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 won't recognize 2nd hard drive

Installed a 2nd drive, Hitachi SATA Deskstar HDS721010CLA332. It powers up but is not recognized by Disk Utility nor in Serial-ATA Device Tree. Data cable is set properly; seems to be set in motherboard. Makes alot of noise during OS startup, then quiets down after I login. Any ideas why it's not recognized? My G5 is PowerMac 7,3.

PowerMac G5 7.3 - 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 12:28 PM

34 replies

Mar 19, 2011 12:48 PM in response to neal_h

Hi Neal, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

G5s may have trouble with SATA 2 3Gb/sec drives, many have a jumper to slow it to SATA 1 1.5Gb/sec speeds.

I find little but conflicting reports on the Hitachi drives...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/hitachi-sata-hdd-268771.html

From page 137 of the PDF...

* 3.0Gbps is default setting; however, 1.5Gbps is supported.

Mar 19, 2011 1:43 PM in response to BDAqua

My bad: to the right of the power cable were two pins (unlike IDE's that have many more pins). I jumped the 2 pins, put everything back together, powered up... and still no luck.
In fact, the 2nd drive is in an endless loop now after startup: beep, 2 mechanical sounds, beep, ... Might the drive be attempting to 'talk' to the computer, but it's not getting any feedback to go to the next event? (just a guess) Might the drive be bad? (Ordered from Amazon; came in bubble wrap & moisture barrier bag, nothing else nor other packaging; very odd) Thanks for your ideas, BDAqua!

Mar 19, 2011 2:32 PM in response to neal_h

Tough to tell what is wrong, I "think" the Hitachi is supposed to automatically step down to half speed, but if it's a SATA 3 drive it'll only step down to SATA 2 speed, which the G5 cannot talk to.

Here's one that says SATA 6 Gb/s/3 Gb/s/1.5Gb/s compatible...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD10EALX/

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/WesternDigitalCaviar

Mar 20, 2011 6:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Good suggestion. I switched cables; the primary/original drive still working, therefore, it's not a controller/data cable problem. Either I have a bad drive, or the Hitachi DeskStar HDS721010CLA332 SATA-2 won't step down.

If it won't step down, would the drive still make lots of noise? As previously stated, it goes into an endless loop of beeps and mechanical sounds as soon as it gets power. I think I ought to return the drive rather than spend more $ to buy a new SATA PCI card for this drive. Thanks for your interest in my dilemma.

Mar 20, 2011 8:17 PM in response to neal_h

Your drive should mount and run fine in a G5.

It is a SATA-2 drive and there are not any jumpers needed to have it negotiate the speeds (as I recall, the Deskstar SATA-2's don't have speed jumper positions). I just realized that I have apparently installed a SATA-3 Deskstar, judging by the reported model number of HDS723020BLA642 in my original G5 and it plays just fine. Mind you, what the box said was SATA-2 and 32 MByte cache, so I may have scored something there.

Nonetheless, all of the Deskstars (four different 2TB drives) seem to play just fine on the SATA-1 interface.

Now I am getting curious about the odd drive that I just discovered wasn't reporting what I thought it was supposed to be.

Message was edited by: old comm guy

Mar 20, 2011 10:16 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:
Great info as always ocg, fo keep us posted if you find out more! 🙂

I am due to swap the drive in the lower bay with an offsite drive in a day or two, and I will be curious to see what they other drive reports for a model number, as I believe it was purchased at the same time as the seemingly SATA-3 drive. The model number for the lower-slot drive is for the new higher-capacity drives that are 3TB, 2TB or 1.5TB. Veerrry eenteresting, as Arte Johnson would have said. (As an aside, Hitachi doesn't seem to put the actual model number on the retail packaging.

It does seem that it's supposed to auto-negotiate at least SATA 2 to SATA 1, so it does seem like a bad drive so far.

If truly the cable swap that the OP reported was such that the boot drive was now connected through the second cable to the second SATA plug, then I would say the smart money is gonna bet on a bum drive. The K2 chip could be the problem, but that seems to have been eliminated by the drive swap on the cables. Since the drive should work but it doesn't, the boot drive works on both interfaces, the OP should take it back and try another one. Infant mortality is not an impossible event.

Mar 21, 2011 2:01 AM in response to BDAqua

I pulled the internal drive in the lower bay this morning and had a look at the label on it, and it definitely says 6 GB/s SATA, so it probably is a 7K3000 Deskstar. The other drive that I bought at the same time says 3 GB/s and thus is a 7K2000 Deskstar. Hmmm. I guess the factory folks dropped one of the new drives into the box.

The good news is that it took this thread for me to find that out and discover that at least the Hitachi's will auto-negotiate back to SATA-1 speeds from the SATA-3 drives. Good to know. Now I feel the urge to run down to Fry's and pick up one of the 3TBs they have in.

Sort of a Tim Taylor thing, I guess. 🙂

G5 won't recognize 2nd hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.