Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos won't play in powerpoint when connected to projector

I've tried to find a solution for my problem online but haven't come across anyone with the same issue. I often work with powerpoint presentations with many videos in it. The videos play just fine on my laptop and also when hooked up to an external monitor, which I use when at work, both in slideshow mode and when previewing my animations. However, when I hook up my mac onto a projector the videos won't play - not on my laptop screen nor on the projected screen. I've tried rearranging the displays by draggin the menu bar to either display and also switched from mirror screens to presenter's view within powerpoint but nothing helped solve the issue. The only solution I found is to play the presentation on my windows partition - which is not really what I'm planning to do for long term...

I'm using Powerpoint 2011 for mac and this problem has occurred using multiple projectors.

Any help on how to solve this issue is highly appreciated!

Macbook Pro 15'', Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 3:54 PM

11 replies

Dec 15, 2014 9:02 AM in response to llfromsb

Thanks for the suggestion but didn't work for me.

Mid 2014 15' Mac Book Pro

Intel Iris Pro Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Disabled automatic graphics switching.

Still won't play embedded Powerpoint Videos on a projector. Sound plays but no video on either the projector or on the MacBook Pro screen.

Works perfectly fine if not connected to a projector.

Sometimes (not always) works if I re-embed the video while connected to the projector.

Any help from anyone gratefully received.

Jan 29, 2015 5:19 AM in response to sjm986

I had the same problem today in front of an audience with 300 people (MacbookPro OSX 10.10, Thunderbolt-VGA adapter, PPT 14.4.6).

Here what I figured out so far:

1. It happens when you have PPT open and connect to beamer afterwards

2. You can resolve it (in my case) by quitting PPT and launching it WHEN connected to beamer

3. Yet, make sure Mac does not go into sleep mode or you get a lock-screen in the waiting time. if you do so, you get back to square 1. quit PPT again 2. restart it.

4. Also.... in one case I had to hit the volume control once to get the sound back even though movie was playing

So in short: Connect to beamer first, then launch PPT

I know it is only a symptom fix but it worked for me

Videos won't play in powerpoint when connected to projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.