Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random alphabetical organization of icons

We're running into the issue on a mac os 10.6.6 machine that the icons periodically reorganize themselves in alphabetical organization. There appears to be no explanation for the sudden reorganization.

Generally speaking, icons in all areas (desktop, misc folders) are organized visually, placed intentionally. We can of course go to View Options and choose some method of organization, but we do NOT want that behavior. We want the icons to stay put, where they're placed.

As a tech-guy, I'm inclined to believe that icon placement is retained in some type of (hidden) system file, so I'm starting to wonder if it would be valuable to transition all of my documents to a separate user profile to see if it is profile specific.

Any ideas, hints, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. When there are countless icons that are organized "geographically" to suddenly have them reorganized (at random) as alphabetized, it really is a hassle to go back through the process of moving each icon to it's preferred resting space.

Please help.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 500GB 7200RPM

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 5:34 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2011 7:54 PM in response to codyjbennett

It is not so clear if this is just your Desktop, if so....

A corrupt .DS_Store could cause your desktop icons to forget how you've arranged them.

.DS_Store files can become corrupted causing unusual behavior by the finder when you open certain folders such as the finder window blinking open and then closing, inability to see some icons, inability to sort icons, or inability to change the view options.

To fix it, type the following in the app/utilities/Terminal.app

*Copy and paste* in terminal window

rm ~/Desktop/.DS_Store

Random alphabetical organization of icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.