Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 MacBook Pro Processor

On a scale of 1 to 10, what would the processor in the 2010 MacBook pro be? I'm just wondering if it's reliable for video editing. And I already have a 2010 Macbook Pro, so dont say get 2011!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 9:02 PM

4 replies

Mar 19, 2011 10:33 PM in response to DerekBrackett

There's several versions from that year which specific chip and speed were you asking about ?

'Video editing' loads different parts of a MBP - the CPU, the GPU, graphics RAM, RAM and the hard drive itself - all of these have an impact on how fast you can work.

Which software are you using to video edit with, iMovie, Final Cut Pro or something else ?

What sort of source files are you loading and editing, AVCHD ?

As you can see asking a broad 1-10 question really can't be answered without a lot more specificity (and even then is going to be rather subjective).

User uploaded file

Mar 24, 2011 10:36 AM in response to DerekBrackett

The 2010 13" MacBook Pro has a Core 2 Duo CPU. That CPU was somewhat outdated even in 2010 when most manufacturers were using first gen "i" series processors (all new Macs have 2nd gen Sandy Bridge processors). From a processor standpoint, it's dual core with each core running a single thread. It should be tolerable with Final Cut Express... but depending on what you're doing with After Effects, it can be a fairly heavy load on the CPU. Bumping your system up to the maximum amount of RAM would probably help you somewhat.

2010 MacBook Pro Processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.