Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime Ringtone Question?

Can you change the Facetime Ringtone? Its just so quiet I miss calls at times due to that.

PC

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 9:09 PM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2011 2:04 PM in response to Mig954

That is incorrect info... The Facetime has its own ringtone and is very low (whisper quiet) by default on all devices including the Mac computer. On the iPad/iPod you can change the ringtone. However, on the iPhone you cannot change the Facetime ringtone. Nor does the iPhone Facetime ringtone share the same tone as your default phone ringtone or ringtone assigned to contacts.

The Facetime ringtone on the iPhone is frustratingly low. I am constantly running back and forth between the Macbook Pro and my iPhone and most times I miss the call all together due to lack of settings to adjust the volume or change ringtone. It's a good thing the iPad & iPod is capable of changing or I would literally be going nuts right now.

Apr 25, 2011 8:35 AM in response to Yabooni

/Settings App/Sounds/Ringtones...

iPads have a ringtone setting though it's not a phone handset. You simply choose ringtone and this new tone will be the facetime ringtone. If you want more custom tunes, then you simply import your custom ringtones to iTunes and the next time you sync your iPad, insure that you have ringtones in the tab menu selection checked.

It is so very nice cause I can distinguish the iPad from my other devices. Apple needs to implement custom individual settings in the iPhone for Facetime, SMS, email and Phone styles. It's so abnoxiouly insane that Facetime is so dang quiet less alone it is non distinguishable from the Mac ringtone or even your friends.

Hope this helps 🙂

May 9, 2012 1:57 PM in response to Kyoujin

It worked for me - but it's not easy...

1. First I created a new ringtone (I used a 15 seconds sound clip from a favourite song): Help is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATux0htpj6U
  2. Instead of renaming the soundclip from m4a to m4r (as described in the youtube video), I kept the m4a extension
  3. I downloaded a program that could convert an m4a file to an aiff file (lousy program but it worked...)
  4. Used the program to convert my soundclip from m4a to .aiff
  5. Opened the folder as described by Kyoujin and changed the old "vc~ringing.aif" file name to "vc~ringing_old.aif" (just in case...)
  6. Renamed the newly created soundclip file as mentioned by Kyoujin to "vc~ringing.aif" and placed it as described by Kyoujin in the right folder ...

If anyone could post a good freeware conversion program (convert from m4a to aiff) it would be great.

Jul 8, 2012 5:50 AM in response to Ariwa

I didn't need a third party conversion program; I used iTunes to create an aiff file.

Go to iTunes Preferences > General > Import Settings > Select Import Using: AIFF Encoder > OK

Select the sound you plan to use then Advanced > Create AIFF Version.

Select the AIFF track and select a start and stop time in Get Info > Options.

Open the folder as described by Kyoujin and then follow your steps 5 & 6

Don't forget to go back to iTunes Preferences to revert to your previous encoder settings.

Oct 20, 2013 3:42 PM in response to Kyoujin

For those who find the ringtone too quiet and if you have Garage Band:

Drag vc~ringing.aif onto the mixer.

Boost track and master volume to maximum.

Save file to Disk as .aif to Desktop (easiest working location). It will be louder than the original.

Drag the file into the Facebook Package's Resources folder to replace the original vc~ringing.aif file.

This process doesn't seem to be cumulative if you repeat it but the Facetime ringtone can now be heard at a lower System Volume, IF whatever music/sound application's output volume is itself not set too high. Therefore, it's best to set up a balance with Syatem Volume at maximum,

Facetime Ringtone Question?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.