Skip navigation

Gray Screen of Death - New MBP 17 inch

842 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 21, 2011 3:02 AM by dtjnr RSS
Wycliffe Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 21, 2011 2:42 AM
This morning, I awoke to the gray screen of death on my new MBP (less than one week old).

All hardware versions, etc. were up to date. When I turn it on, it sounds like it is powering normally - the gray screen and Apple logo come up and there is an elongated horizontal bar that looks like it is trying to load briefly. Then the gray wheel. Then the computer powers off. Never had this happen to me on a Mac before - any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
17" MacBook i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • dtjnr Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2011 3:02 AM (in response to Wycliffe)
    I had a grey screen hang yesterday whilst getting to know my 17" i7 2.2 MBP

In the end what allowed me to reboot (it wouldn't boot from CD) was disconnecting the machine from everything including power, waiting for just over 10 minutes, and restarting. I have no idea why that would work, and it took me about 3 hours of troubleshooting before I decided to give it a go.

Do a restart once the system comes back up - or you end up having to wait for ten minutes in the case that it freezes up, which seems fairly likely judging by some of the other threads on this board!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.