Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print Jobs Being Put On Hold in Queue

Good afternoon...I just upgraded my G5 to a Mac Pro 10.6.4. I found all my Appletalk printers using the G5 as the go between computer. When I print from the Mac Pro, it will put the jobs in queue but just put them on hold and it doesn't go to the printer. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you.

Power G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 9:37 AM

15 replies

Mar 22, 2011 9:25 AM in response to prepressmac

If you have a computer still running 10.5.8 that will likely be ON when you want to print to AppleTalk Printers, you can set up the printers on that Mac, then declare them "Shared" from that Mac.

They will be seen from the rest of your Macs as Bonjour Shared printer that reside on the 10.5.8 Mac.

Re-Install those printers on your other Macs, using Bonjour Shared @ 10.5 computername to Install them. You can print again!

If this solution will not work for you, post your Printer model numbers are readers can help find other approaches to get them going in a "no more AppleTalk" environment.

Mar 22, 2011 9:17 PM in response to prepressmac

Another user on a different thread reported he only had success only after "Resetting the Printing System" on the 10.6 Mac -- that de-installing and re-installing the printers was not sufficient for him. Others agreed this seemed to help them as well. Resetting the printing system will also de-install all your printers, so only do it when you have a few minutes to fiddle with it.

Sep 14, 2012 9:50 AM in response to prepressmac

For everyone having this issue, this is what worked for me but you must have Time Machine enabled for it to work.

I went from the Go menu in Finder, Click Go To Folder, type /usr/libexec/cups/backend/ and hit enter. When the folder opens, click on usb. Open Time Machine and go back to the most recent date that is applicable, and click restore. When it asks you to keep both files or replace, click replace.

When you try to print, it should work. Did for me :-D

Print Jobs Being Put On Hold in Queue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.