Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt HDMI audio problem

Hi,

I used a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable from an Apple reseller to connect my Thunderbolt port to an Onkyo A/V receiver which is daisy-chained with a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD TV.

The video signal is fine but the audio signal is turning on and off (seeing this on the display of the receiver and hearing it through the speakers) while the video stays good (yes I set the sound output to HDMI). I tried both MP3 and DTS 5.1 sound but it's the same problem for both. It looks somewhat like the screen flickering problem some guys have with their Thunderbolt connection, but then for the audio and with a higher frequency of turning off and on.

Normally the setup with HDMI and the A/V receiver and TV works fine with HDMI 1.3a. Anyone else tried this setup with his new MBP or knows a solution?

Tycho

Macbook Pro 13" early 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 2:08 PM

7 replies

Mar 29, 2011 3:08 AM in response to twofourseven

Hi have my Macbook Pro 13 - 2011 Thunderbolt connection hooked to my TV via HDMI and the audio is coming out. However, the volume is very low and muffled. Have to crank my 5.1 sound system to maximum to get useful audio. This was not the case with my older 2010 Macbook pro. Apple's shift to include Thunderbolt with the mini display port has done something which created audio and video issues.

Apr 29, 2011 6:50 PM in response to TychoW.

Found it.

It can be a media player problem. When I try to average video file with VLC, I can't have the sound. But with some format, it work. But if I use Itunes or Mplayer X, no problem at all. 1 time on 2, it switch the sound by itself.

It's weird, but not that hard to work with.

I'm on Macbook pro 13 core I5 Early 2011.

May 7, 2013 4:11 AM in response to Félix le séparatiste

Dear All,

I'd like to use this forum, not to mess up the community with my newbie questions. 🙂

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro (13" Late 2011, OSX 10.8.2).

I'd like to connect it up with my Harman Kardon AVR360 AVR. I'm using Tunderbolt to HDMI adapter. When I connect up the two devices, a blue screen shows up for a few seconds, but nothing really happens. I can not see any new devices in the System Preferences.

Thunderbolt HDMI audio problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.