Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PACE error message

How can I get rid of this?
I loaded this PACE thing years ago and can't find it or get rid of it. I tried the file remove License "macextsx" but that didn't help. I tried installing a new OS Snow Leopard but that didn't help. The software I'm tring to load is Guitar Pro 6 but I keep getting this message. "Required software extensions are missing Click on the "OK" button, and you will be transferred to the PACE web site where an installer can be downloaded." But no help. See attachment screen capture.

Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 9 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 3:33 PM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2011 5:46 PM in response to offtheroad88

What you have is PACE Interlok, a copy-protection rootkit included with some commercial software. It's utterly hostile to your interests and serves no purpose except to keep you from exercising your fair-use rights. It gives a total stranger, the application developer, the same control over your data that you have yourself. It will destabilize your whole system and may intentionally cause a crash if it suspects you're doing something the developer wouldn't like. Not enough can be said against it.

If you recall the scandal a few years ago over the Windows DRM rootkit that Sony put on some music discs masquerading as CD's, PACE is similar to that.

What I would do in your place is contact the developer for instructions on how to remove it along with the rest of his garbage product, which of course is coded not to work unless the rootkit is installed. If he doesn't respond to your request, you'll just have to do your own research to find out where the PACE files are and remove them yourself.

Mar 26, 2011 10:25 AM in response to offtheroad88

Some where in this forum I read to deinstall WAVES and all the plugins with to get rid of PACE. I did that and also got rid of all my Lodgic stuff and Ableton but still when I try and launch Guitar Pro 6 it get the Pace error message and it crashes. I have two seperate internal HD's with current OS's on them and one is my Audio/Video HD the other (that I'm having issues with) is my graphics HD. On my A/V HD Guitar Pro 6 launch OK but not on my Graphics HD. I used EasyFind to search for these:

/Library/StartupItems/PaceSupport/
/Library/StartupItems/PaceSupport/PaceSupport
/Library/Launch Daemons/PaceSupport.plist
/Library/StartupItems/PaceSupport/Resources/Pace Support.plist
/System/Library/Extensions/PaceSupportFamily.kext
/Library/ApplicationSupport/Pace Anti-Piracy/
But no luck didn't find anything.
Please help.

PACE error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.