Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All photos are missing after trying to use iPhoto Library Manager to save..

to an external hard drive. I've been goggling about a month now and am worried I could mess up and permanently lose all my photos. Any help would be MUCH appreciated 🙂

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 9:03 PM

31 replies

Mar 22, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi. Thank you for responding.

I tried to create a New iPhoto Library using the Library Manager. Then there were no photos in my iPhoto OR in the iPhoto Library Manager.

I googled and read in several places I should "Remove Library". I did that. Then tried to create a new library again titled "New Library 2".

Still nothing. So, I stopped so I didn't mess things up further.

Mar 24, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Cali_Gal

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. With iPhoto LIbrary Manager open click on the Add Library button. Then navigate to your Pictures folder to select your library there.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Once you have the library in iPLM you can select it and use the File ➙ Rebuild or File ➙ Duplicate menu option depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Wither will let you select the external HD as the destination for the new library. Be sure to check and set iPLM's preferences before rebuilding. Be aware that rebuilding will not save books, slideshows, calendars or cards.

Are you just trying to copy your library to the external HD? If so you don't need to use iPLM. Just select and drag the library from the Pictures folder to the EHD and let the Finder copy it.

User uploaded file
OT

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
NOTE: this is not the same as routinely backing up your entire iPhoto library folder to protect your photos. It only protects the loss of your organizational efforts that the database file contains.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

NOTE: The new rebuild option in iPhoto 09 (v. 8.0.2), Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" makes this tip obsolete.

Message was edited by: Old Toad

Mar 27, 2011 7:02 PM in response to Cali_Gal

Hello, hoping you can solve my problem: I uploaded photos from my digital camera directly into Iphoto and saw them in my "Last Import" file with no problem. I stupidly decided to delete them from my camera. Iphoto unexpectedly quit and when I re-opened it, all of the pictures had disappeared from iphoto. HELP! They don't seem to be anywhere!

Mar 28, 2011 11:19 AM in response to LM14

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. Open the iPhoto Library in the Finder,

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

look in the Originals folder to see if your image files are in the subfolders. They should be. If they are then make a temporary, duplicate copy of the library and try the three fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your Home/Library/Preferences folder.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding the the Option key. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache files that are located in the Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

Fix #2

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed and follow the instructions to rebuild the library. Select last three options.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Fix #3

Rebuild the library using iPhoto Library Manager as follows:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library
1 -Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 -Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your User/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File->Rebuild Library menu option

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

User uploaded file
OT

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
NOTE: this is not the same as routinely backing up your entire iPhoto library folder to protect your photos. It only protects the loss of your organizational efforts that the database file contains.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

NOTE: The new rebuild option in iPhoto 09 (v. 8.0.2), Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" makes this tip obsolete.

Mar 28, 2011 1:01 PM in response to Cali_Gal

What's in the New Library folder?

Download Find Any File and do a search for "Library6.iPHoto". If you have an iPhoto library on your HD it will find it.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

If you don't find a library click on the Desktop and type ShiftCommandG. In the window that comes up put in "/volume". If you find a library there drag it to the Desktop and then into the Pictures folder

All photos are missing after trying to use iPhoto Library Manager to save..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.