Skip navigation

missing QTCF.DLL on safari

20894 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 10:39 AM by Asrin475 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
ahbs Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 22, 2011 6:27 AM
just installed i-tunes to new computer now safari says QTCF.DLL file is missing - re-installed safari but fault prevails
HP G5210uk, Windows 7
  • b noir Level 9 Level 9 (71,990 points)
    Mar 22, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to ahbs)
    now safari says QTCF.DLL file is missing

QTCF.dll is a QuickTime program file. Is your QuickTime Player also failing to launch at the moment?
    Lenovo t61 laptop, Windows XP Pro, various ipod models
  • Daniel Travaglio Calculating status...
    Apr 13, 2011 12:46 PM (in response to b noir)
    Having exact same problem. Just with a PC with Windows XP on, was looking for the answer. Quicktime does launch at this point for me.
    Power Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Processor: 933 MHz PowerPC G4, 2MB L3 cache
    Apr 13, 2011 5:05 PM (in response to Daniel Travaglio)
    Could you run a files search for QTCF.dll please, Daniel? How many copies do you find, and in what locations do you find them?
  • Daniel Travaglio Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Apr 15, 2011 7:07 PM (in response to b noir)
    There is one and it's in the Quicktime folder.
    Power Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.5), Processor: 933 MHz PowerPC G4, 2MB L3 cache
    Apr 15, 2011 7:15 PM (in response to Daniel Travaglio)
    Okay ... that's all as it ought to be.

Just in case, let's try a repair install of QuickTime.

Restart the PC. In your Add or Remove Programs control panel, select QuickTime, click "Change" and then click "repair".

Does the repair go through okay? If so, does Safari launch without the error this time?
  • Daniel Travaglio Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Apr 22, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to b noir)

Did the repair, and it didn't work.  Same error happened.  Went and downloaded Safari again, and it fixed the problem without losing anything. 

Thanks for getting me to the right direction.

Apr 23, 2011 1:23 AM (in response to Daniel Travaglio)

I wonder what was going on? Ah well, the important thing is that it's fixed. Glad things are working properly again, and many thanks for reporting back with your resolution.

• cory church Calculating status...
    Apr 27, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to ahbs)

Reinstalling Safari didnt work for me. REPAIRING quicktime did though.

Apr 27, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to cory church)

cory church wrote:

Reinstalling Safari didnt work for me. REPAIRING quicktime did though.

Many thanks for the report, cory.

That makes sense. If the QTCF.dll has become deregistered, Safari wouldn't see it when it needed it. (Possibly it needs it because of QuickTime content on a page requiring one of the QuickTime plugins?) A repair install of QuickTime should reregister the dll.

Apologies for the nosy question cory, but what do you have set as your new window default page? (Currently, for example, I'm opening to Top Sites in a new window.) Sort of trying to check on the "Safari getting upset because it can't use the QuickTime plug-in on the page it's trying to open" theory as to why it's complaining about the QuickTime program file.

• cory church Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 27, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to b noir)

Makes sense. I was using safari on windows 7. My home page was the apple start page. Probably was trying to load something for QuickTime like u said.

Apr 27, 2011 12:22 PM (in response to cory church)
    My home page was the apple start page. Probably was trying to load something for QuickTime like u said.

Many thanks! I'm pretty sure I've been asked to activate or install QuickTime plug-ins or ActiveX controls when going there in the past. (Most other areas at the Apple Website seem to want them too.)

• coreyfrommassena Calculating status...
    Aug 2, 2011 3:37 AM (in response to ahbs)

Ok so Ihave an issue, kinda the same but mine is  a little strange, i just bought a hp pavilion with win 7 home premium, quad intell processor, and i downloaded safari and quicktime.. first i ran into the issue of the missing qtcf.dll, and now on face book and so far this page im getting a qtcf_cfunichargetunicodepropertydataforplane could not be located in the dynamic link library, i have tried complete uninstalls and reinstalls of both safari 5 and quicktime 7, quicktime runs fine, it works on my personal website when usuing safari, and when using mozilla, the only time i get this error is sometimes when safar starts or i got facebook... any ideas?

• dvincleo Calculating status...
    Oct 8, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to b noir)

Quicktime was working, but reinstalling it solved the problem.

Thank you all.

• computersade Calculating status...
    Dec 5, 2011 5:21 AM (in response to ahbs)

I'm running Windows 7 and was prompted to update Safari.

At the same time Apple Software Update also recommended updating iTunes, QuickTime and the iCloud Console.

Safari was version 5.1.2

iTunes was version 10.5.1.42

QuickTime was version 7.7.1

and iCloud Contro, Panel was version 1.0.1

Launching Safari produced the error "The application failed to start because QTCF.DLL is missing from your computer." from webkit2webprocess.exe.

A search of my computer confirmed the dll was indeed missing.

I attempted a repair of all four applications to no avail.

I removed QuickTime and the error went away. I reinstalled QuickTime and the error returned.

I then removed both QuickTime and Safari and reinstalled them using the combined install and the problem was resolved.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.