Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you track your WiFi usage? Is there an app?

How can you know how much data you have used when connected via WiFi? iOS does not provide usage statistics for WiFi. Is there an app for this?

I have an iPad and I tethered it to my iPhone's hotspot via WiFi. I like to know how much data does my iPad use during such time. Also when I am roaming overseas on a limited WiFi data plan.

I know that there's an app DataMan that can track cellular data usage very well but it's alerts are built for cellular data, not WiFi data.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 8:47 AM

I agree this should be an Apple feature. It already exists under the "Cellular" tab for cellular usage. It should also exist under "Wi-Fi" for Wi-Fiusage.

I came to my phone today with the "My Data Manager" telling me overnight (while I was sleeping) I used 1.3GB of data on my Wi-Fi. No clue why. (Might use their tracking if I understood the VPN implications) There are so many places to manage this it's tough to know what to look for. A few weeks back Weather.com sucked up 68 mb of my LTE data playing videos I did not know about.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 8:47 AM in response to BrianStomger

I agree this should be an Apple feature. It already exists under the "Cellular" tab for cellular usage. It should also exist under "Wi-Fi" for Wi-Fiusage.

I came to my phone today with the "My Data Manager" telling me overnight (while I was sleeping) I used 1.3GB of data on my Wi-Fi. No clue why. (Might use their tracking if I understood the VPN implications) There are so many places to manage this it's tough to know what to look for. A few weeks back Weather.com sucked up 68 mb of my LTE data playing videos I did not know about.

Jan 23, 2017 1:52 AM in response to Willīam

Not to those of us who have data caps on our internet usage. We have 15GB of data per month on HughesNet and I need to know what is sucking down my data. My Android phone tells me. I had to search here to find out that my iPad doesn't. HughesNet is my only option. Believe me, I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to.

AND just because questions are old doesn't mean they aren't helpful years later!

Jun 30, 2017 3:57 AM in response to mauijiminar

I for one (along with I would presume thousands of other users) get all of my data for my digital use from one account. Even when home and connected to my wifi, it uses the same data account as my iphone. Most people in cities have an unlimited or almost unlimited data account they connect to when home, and only use their iphone data when they are away from their main data connection. There are probably several million people in the United States that live outside of areas where true unlimited broadband is available. Many then like myself and my family get all of our data from one source unless we happen to be (which is seldom) in some establishment that offers free wifi. So in order to track all of your data usage you need the total usage of each device you have that connects to the internet.

Mar 22, 2011 8:40 AM in response to virtualgeo

Perfect! That's what I needed. I need custom usage alerts for my WiFi usage. WifiMan allows me to define my own thresholds. Plus, I can turn on sleep mode when I am not tethered to my iPhone. This helps me keep track of only tethered data usage (which sadly is not unlimited for me). Plus, it's very easy to use.

Great recommendation! Thank you.

Mar 22, 2011 9:06 AM in response to BrianStomger

I have an iPad and I tethered it to my iPhone's hotspot via WiFi. I like to know how much data does my iPad use during such time. Also when I am roaming overseas on a limited WiFi data plan.

What is a "limited WiFi data plan"?
Never heard of a wifi data plan.
My iPad is not with any carrier. It's WiFi usage I'm interested in, not 3G

Isn't your iPad tethered to your phone? If so, then you should be interested in the amount of data used on your 3G data plan for your phone.

How do you track your WiFi usage? Is there an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.