Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nfs vs afp

Hello everybody,
Just a quick question. We are connecting to our server using AFP.
Is it worth it to go to NFS? Is it going to be faster?
Please advise.

Thanks,
Helmut

Powermac g5, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2005 1:16 PM

3 replies

Dec 30, 2005 3:41 PM in response to Helmut Newton

We are connecting to our
server using AFP.
Is it worth it to go to NFS? Is it going to be
faster?

Almost certainly not, to both questions.

Although I don't have citations for any rigorous tests, my experience (and others') is that the NFS client is rather slow. (Here's a recent post on the subject.)

More to the point, NFS is far less secure than AFP (there's no user/password authentication like there is with AFP). Depending on the applications you use, it may be less robust. Also, the feature set doesn't completely overlap with AFP. With AFP home directories, for example, the directory is created automatically by the server the first time the user logs in; with NFS it's not. On the flip side, NFS allows you to use Fast User Switching with multiple simultaneous accounts from the same client, which AFP does not. I'm assuming that the latter isn't really a feature that you particularly care about; it's typically not a big deal (except in some lab environments).

The main reason to switch to NFS would be if you have UNIX or Linux clients where you'd like to use network home directories. If that's the case, it would probably make more sense to put the home directories on a UNIX or Linux server that provides NFS.

David Walton

Mar 24, 2006 10:01 AM in response to David Walton1

We have home directories shared by AFP and after a year or so of assorted problems, I am going to try resharing via NFS. The main problem (which I've posted about elsewhere) is that if you have AFP shared home directories, you can't have multiple users log in to a client machine at the same time. This may not be an issue for many users but this also affects ssh logins. So if a user is physically at a client machine and another user tries to connect to the same machine via ssh, then whilst they can log in they will not be able to see their home directory.

I'm hoping that NFS-shared home directories will fix this problem.

Keith

iBooks, PowerBooks, iMacs, and PowerMac G5s Mac OS X (10.4.3)

nfs vs afp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.