Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MX870 Scanner will not work, but printer does (wirelessly).

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and have loaded the software/drivers for the Canon MX870. Printing is working great, but it will not scan. I get the following error message when I try to scan to PDF: "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed. 2.1.0". The printer function is working (wirelessly). I plugged the printer cable into the MacBook just to check if that was the problem and I got the same error message. I can still scan to my PC, but I need this to work with my MacBook as I have transitioned from PC email and I need to send this out electronically. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, iOS 4, Not positive what OS I have - purchased new system 2 weeks ago!

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 3:43 PM

36 replies

Mar 22, 2011 4:02 PM in response to FrustratedNewbie

I suggest you look at installing two scanner drivers for the MX870. There is the [ICA driver v1.7.0|http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100213301.html] and the [MX870 scanner driver v16.0.0|http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100253602.html]. With both of these drivers installed you can first check that you can scan via USB and if that works you can then scan via the network. Note that to scan via the network you will need to add the network scanner in Print & Fax. You should also look at using Canon's MP Navigator application for scanning.

Mar 23, 2011 6:30 PM in response to FrustratedNewbie

Fixed this with the help of a Canon support rep.

* Click on the icon in the upper right corner that looks like a scanner's lid opened (Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector)
* Click "Open Settings"
* Select the Mac address from the menu (should be a letter/number combination like "00.34.r3.45.44.33"
* Hit OK
* Try to scan from scanner or from Navigator software - should work just fine

May 14, 2011 6:28 PM in response to John Vestal1

Hello John.

Can you give some more information about your issue.

1. Do you have the scanner listed in Print & Fax?
  2. If you open Image Capture and selecting Shared, does your MX870 list? And if selected, does the scanner interface open?
  3. Do you have the Canon IJ Selector showing in the menubar? And if you do and open it, is the MX870 as a network device shown?

May 14, 2011 7:33 PM in response to PAHU

1) No.

2) No.

3) Yes

Found out what allowed it to work. Apparently, CHScannerRegister in Library/Image Capture/Support/LegacyDeviceDiscoveryHelpers doesn't know it needs to proxy for the MX870. I went into package contents/Resources/NetworkDevice.plist and added an entry for Mx870 Series (you would see the MX860 as a template). And that fixed it.

John

Jul 10, 2011 3:43 PM in response to Barecito

Barecito wrote:

Hello, I have a Image Runner 2022i and I can't scan on my MacBook Pro 15" OS 10.6.8. is this a general canon issue?

There is no scanner driver for the imageRUNNER devices for OS X. The scanner drivers mentioned are for the AIO (inkjet) devices.

But because you have an I model of imageRUNNER, you have the ability to push scan a document from the copier to a shared folder on the Mac. Please start a new post, as the information here has nothing to do with your symptom.

Aug 26, 2011 2:05 PM in response to John Vestal1

John,

You are the best !!!

You solve my problem i got with my MX870 since months where i was not understanding how to install properly the network scan...

So simple your fix, it's perfect!!!

By the way, do you think we could do like an HP Printer where we combine on the same device Printer and Scan included into 2 tabs ?

Many thanks again.

Nicolas

Jan 23, 2012 7:34 PM in response to FrustratedNewbie

I was having the same issue. I am printing and scanning wirelessly. Here's how I fixed it.

* Go into Printers and Scanners and delete the printer and scanner.

* Hit the + sign to add the Canon printer. WAIT on the next screen until you see Canon MX870 Series_A756382H93939 or something similar - basically the name of the printer on the network, not just what it defaults to. It takes about 30 secs for OSX to find it.

* You should be able to print wirelessly now

* To enable the scanner, open the scanning software (MP Navigator)

* Go into Preferences (upper right corner on the main screen)

* Make sure Product Name is selected to the wireless printer. It also defaults to something else.

Worked for me!

Canon MX870 Scanner will not work, but printer does (wirelessly).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.