Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3.1.2 Update: Assign Place bug still there, and now scrolling is screwed up

The places bug is still there. Applying an exist place to image(s) creates a NEW location offset to the north east.

Now, since 3.1.2, scrolling is screwed up. Clicking either side of the scroll thumb in the a scroll bar always scrolls down. I all the years I've used a Mac, I've NEVER seen that happen before.

I'm still pretty new to Aperture, but I have to say some of these bugs are very surprising, and disappointing! "Pro Apps" shouldn't have such basic operational flaws!

Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 8:51 AM

14 replies

Mar 23, 2011 10:08 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Normally when you click and hold in the scroll bar, above the scroll thumb, the window rapidly scrolls up. Much like clicking and holding on the up arrow at the top of the scroll bar, only faster.

A single click in the scrollbar, above the thumb, will scroll one page up, just as expect. However, hold the mouse down, and suddenly the scrolling behaves as though the mouse is below the scroll thumb.

As I said, very strange!

Mar 23, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Rob-K

Rob-K wrote:

A single click in the scrollbar, above the thumb, will scroll one page up, just as expect. However, hold the mouse down, and suddenly the scrolling behaves as though the mouse is below the scroll thumb.

That behavior is user settable in the System Preferences under Appereance . Clicking in the scroll bar either jumps to the next page or jumps to the spot that's clicked. I've always set my to the later,easier to get through big files but I just tried it the other way, jump to next page, and I'm still not seeing a problem. A click above goes back one page a click below goes forward. Hold the mouse down and it continuously jumps one page at a time in the proper direction until the thumb meets the mouse pointer then it stops.

I don't recall from your earlier posts did you state your hardware/software setup? I I'm using a magic mouse, iMac, 10.6.7, with magicprefs installed (but not set to do anything to weird)

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano
You're not really running 10.3 are you? You should update your profile makes it easier for folks to help if we know the hardware/software you're using.

Mar 23, 2011 11:47 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Appreciate your input, but I don't think you're understanding what the issue is. I understand the two scrolling behavior choices you mention, but that is not the issue at all.

Put it this way, with a window scrolled down just enough to expose the scrollbar above the scrolling thumb, from the top of the scroll bar, I can make the window scroll all the way to the bottom. It is behaving perfectly opposite of what is normal. Scrolling behavior in the other direction, down, is completely normal.

Mar 23, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Rob-K

Ah yes, I see that behavior now if I click and hold. But as Frank notes, I see it related to Sys Prefs -- with my Appearance pref set to "Jump to the next page" but not if I have it set to "Jump to the spot that's clicked". (Which sounds different to what Frank is seeing.) Do you see this Rob-k?

Mar 23, 2011 12:03 PM in response to Rob-K

Rob-K wrote:
Appreciate your input, but I don't think you're understanding what the issue is. I understand the two scrolling behavior choices you mention, but that is not the issue at all.

Put it this way, with a window scrolled down just enough to expose the scrollbar above the scrolling thumb, from the top of the scroll bar, I can make the window scroll all the way to the bottom. It is behaving perfectly opposite of what is normal. Scrolling behavior in the other direction, down, is completely normal.

I do understand what you're saying. What I am saying is I am not seeing the behavior you are seeing.

If I switch my scroll system preferences to *jump to next page* (which is your setting, correct?) and I go into Aperture and I hold the mouse either over or under the thumb the window moves in the correct direction. continuously until the thumb and mouse pointer meet and then it stops.
If I bring the thumb all the way to the top, click once below it to open up one page worth of space above the thumb and then put the pointer above the thumb in that itty bitty little space and hold the mouse down it goes to the top and stops.

What is your pointing device and hardware btw?

Now Clem is saying he is seeing your behavior so it might be a OS, hardware, pointing device related thing.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Mar 23, 2011 12:27 PM in response to Clem

Just got it to happen here. If I turn on *smooth scrolling* I get the behavior of the OP only, it seems, in Aperture.

Good lesson here when describing a problem the more information that can be supplied the more likely someone will be able to help.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the upcoming change to the window scrolling convention that will occur in Lion. Perhaps someone was testing the new scroll behavior out and forgot to reset it 😉

Mar 24, 2011 8:33 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I just updated from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7, and no change.

I totally agree about the more info the better in tracking these things down, but since there is only one single instance where the issue occurs, I didn't think it was necessary to get into many specifics in this case. But, point taken.

Just have to re-train myself to only single click for up.

Now, if only Apple would address the manual GPS tagging bug, I'd be a lot happier. Its a PITA not to be able to apply locations via right-clicking on existing locations on the map. Either that, or they could rename the current contextual menu choice from "Assign Photos" to "Create New Location, offset to the North/East of the selected existing location" lol

Message was edited by: Rob-K

3.1.2 Update: Assign Place bug still there, and now scrolling is screwed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.