Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard

I have never update an operating system and don't want to mess up. I'm currently running Tiger 10.4.11 on a Macbook with an Intel processor. So I should be able to update to Snow Leopard.

In case something goes wrong, I'm going to back up my files with something like Carbonite and I have the original installation discs that came with the MacBook, do I need to do anything else before I insert the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 software I just bought?

Thanks,
Joy

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 5:16 PM

Welcome to the Apple discussions.

You need to do several things. First, as you're already thinking, back up your data to an external hard drive / external source. Next, you need to look at any non-Apple software installed, and see if there is an updated version necessary to run under Snow Leopard. Look at System Preferences and see if there is any software listed at the bottom of the screen, on your account (still under System Preferences) look to see if there are any non-Apple login items, and look at applications on your hard drive. Update/upgrade as needed. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions, then go for the update. Some functions may take longer than under Tiger, so don't get impatient. Also, before you start, make sure you enough memory. Snow Leopard requires 1GB, and more than that would be better.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2011 5:16 PM in response to jcfhunt

Welcome to the Apple discussions.

You need to do several things. First, as you're already thinking, back up your data to an external hard drive / external source. Next, you need to look at any non-Apple software installed, and see if there is an updated version necessary to run under Snow Leopard. Look at System Preferences and see if there is any software listed at the bottom of the screen, on your account (still under System Preferences) look to see if there are any non-Apple login items, and look at applications on your hard drive. Update/upgrade as needed. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions, then go for the update. Some functions may take longer than under Tiger, so don't get impatient. Also, before you start, make sure you enough memory. Snow Leopard requires 1GB, and more than that would be better.

Upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.