Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Re-Rendering in FCP

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge I've matched my LiveType and FCP settings. I imported my LiveType file into FCP so that when I need to make changes to the LiveType file it automatically updates in FCP. Works great!

Here's my problem....any time I make an edit in LiveType, I have to constantly re-render in FCP. Is there any way to edit LiveType files and not have to re-render all the time in FCP?

I'm assuming this is because LiveType only use the Animation compressor and I have a different compressor in FCP. I can't use the Animation compressor in FCP for my project. It doesn't work well at all.

I'm using HDV 1080i60 setting in both LiveType and FCP with field dominance set to Upper(odd) in both programs. Using the HDV1080i compressor in my FCP sequence.

Also I'm using unlimited RT in FCP

Michael

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 8:52 PM

11 replies

Mar 23, 2011 9:00 PM in response to mpanza

It's good that your settings are consistent, but you will still need to render with every LiveType change.

Even though you have the same settings the LT files use the animation codec and it needs to render to the codec you have in your FCP sequence. While it may be irritating to you, you can trust that you are using the preferred workflow.

Mar 24, 2011 3:41 AM in response to D Gilmore

thanks so much for your reply. What if I just use the Animation compressor in my FCP sequence? In the past I thought I got poor results with this but maybe there were other issues. Is the Animation compressor decent?

Also, similar question regarding Motion.....again, I want to be able to go from Motion directly to FCP so I just import my Motion projects into FCP. Works great! But the problem is when I do that, the compressor that Motion uses is called Motion Codec Decompressor. I guess since I'm not officially exporting the Motion project but rather importing it directly into FCP, that's the compressor it uses. But then with that, I have to keep re-rendering.

The only workaround I've found is to just always export from Motion and match the FCP compressor. But the limitation with that is that I can't move back and forth seamlessly between the two programs in terms of edits.

Mar 24, 2011 6:38 AM in response to mpanza

The animation codec is not a reliable codec for you to edit in with FCP.

You can always export your projects in both Motion and in LiveType to match your FCP timeline sequence settings, and this will allow you to move the graphics around without rendering, but you will not be able to seamlessly go back and forth between programs this way to make adjustments in your graphics.

It's a workflow choice you have to make, you can't have it both ways.

Mar 24, 2011 6:57 AM in response to D Gilmore

You can't export LiveType to match FCP settings unless you use the Animation compressor in FCP because LiveType only uses the Animation compressor.

Again, even if I match the settings from Motion and FCP, if I trim the Motion file in FCP, I still have to re-render to get rid of orange in Timeline.

I just want to be able to edit in Final Cut and play sequence in real time without having to always re-render

Mar 24, 2011 7:20 AM in response to mpanza

mpanza wrote:
You can't export LiveType to match FCP settings unless you use the Animation compressor in FCP because LiveType only uses the Animation compressor.

That's wrong you can export out of Live Type using lots of different variations, but you lose the alpha channel, and while most LT graphics are created for the specific use of the alpha channel, there are full screen graphics that don't need it and there are other ways to key graphic elements such as a luma key.

Again, even if I match the settings from Motion and FCP, if I trim the Motion file in FCP, I still have to re-render to get rid of orange in Timeline.
I just want to be able to edit in Final Cut and play sequence in real time without having to always re-render

Change your FCP RT settings to Unlimited, and lower your playback settings is an option you have.

Or If you want to see it use option-p and the area will playback a frame at a time so you can see what it looks like.

Other than that this is simply called editing. Editing requires rendering. It's part of the process. There is no editing workflow in existence that doesn't require rendering at some point.

Mar 25, 2011 5:24 PM in response to D Gilmore

Which version of LiveType do you have, mpanza?

When you render the movie, it puts a .mov with the animation codec in your destination directory in any case. You get the Export/Options dialog afterwards where you can choose other formats.

Quirky? For sure. Convoluted? Definitely.

I paid a small fortune for this software back when it was called India Pro. It hasn't really improved since then, even with Apple's involvement.

Constant Re-Rendering in FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.