Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Power Point into Final Cut Pro

I have a Power Point presentation that one of my colleagues made. We then recorded voice over for it. What is the best way to export or save this presentation so that I can import it into Final Cut 7 and arrange the voice over?

2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 6:41 AM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2011 7:30 AM in response to willscarlett

The slide approach will give the best quality but if you have any sort of animations or moves, etc. these would be lost.

It may depend on the size of your PPT project and the size of your FC project.
We have exported wmv files out of PPT(11x17)1280x720) and then converted to ProRes via flip4mac. Greatest video ever? no. But it is usually better than most SD video you can "acquire" from the web. There will be caveats to full screen HD in FC from PPT.

Other factors would be font size/design elements and title safe. 8 pt fonts usually aren't the first choice for video but could look great in PPT. If you ignore title safe you may have to shrink your slides/video to ensure they are title safe or put a full screen slide behind it. A lot of times PPT is not designed with video in mind.

Mar 24, 2011 7:44 AM in response to willscarlett

if your final product is a PowerPoint file, edit the voice over in FCP so that you have a sound file for each page in the PowerPoint. There is no need to import anything from the PowerPoint to do this.

Edit the audio into separate clips for each page of the presentation. Export to one of the file types that PowerPoint will accept and that you have the ability to export from in Quicktime:

wma
mp3
wav
AIF

Jun 22, 2012 11:38 PM in response to willscarlett

A powerpoint file is different than a movie file because it is customly/ interactivly ran.

The suggestion to “save as movie” unter the “file movie” may work to get “video” we can work with but it might be a terrible pixelated resolution ~(640x480) compared to the beautiful “1440x1080” of todays HD projects.

Apples to Oranges:

To follow my old analogy, to get a soda out of the machine we need to convert a dollar in to four quarters. In one way, yes they are both the same but in another way the dollar bill cannot go into the machine and alow us to get what we want out of it… just as a powerpoint presentation cant go into a video editing program.

Pending Research:

“Powerpoint to video”

“Powerpoint to Final Cut Pro”

“Powerpoint to FCPX”

Oct 19, 2016 3:39 PM in response to willscarlett

I found the following to provide me with the best image clarity:

Either, open the PPTX file in Keynote and then Export to Quicktime, BUT choose Format: 1080p. Then import into FCPX and slice & dice and freeze frame, etc.

OR, in Powerpoint save each slide manually as a TIF using 1920x1080 size.

Both are time consuming, but at least I got the text readable! Post back to say which you found better and why.

Cheers,

Paul Szilard

RemektekMedia.com

Importing Power Point into Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.