Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will this Mail bug be fixed! - Enough already!

Whenever I send an email with an attachment, and later trash that attachemnt, I have to close mail in order to do so? This has been a bug for SOOOOOO long now.

Example: Attach a png file to an email. Send it. Move the attachment to the trash. Now try to empty the trash ..... No Go! You have to close mail in order for the trash to be emptied.

This needs to be fixed. It is so annoying!! User uploaded file

Mac Pro 2.8 8 Core 10GB Ram - Imac 2.8 GHz 24in. 4GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 7:05 AM

24 replies

Mar 24, 2011 8:02 AM in response to fazmanicg

Example: Attach a png file to an email. Send it. Move the attachment to the trash. Now try to empty the trash ..... No Go! You have to close mail in order for the trash to be emptied.

I can't duplicate your experience, so perhaps it is an issue only with your machine.

This needs to be fixed.

To tell Apple something, you need to go here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Mar 25, 2011 3:18 AM in response to JasonHB

It's not a permissions thing for everyone - There are lots of people who have had this problem. I think it came in with SL.
I have 4 Macs, all of varying vintage and all display the issue, right from a Virgin install, with no apps on the machine except the ones included with the OS. Permissions repair doesn't fix it for me.

To replicate it, try this: Create a screenshot and save it to the desktop. Create a new Mail message, then drag the screenshot file into the new message window. Send the message to yourself. Drag the screenshot file from the desktop into the trash. Empty the trash - You should get a message up saying that the file can't be deleted since the it is in use. The solutions for it are to:

1. Close Mail, then empty trash.
2. Secure delete the file while Mail is running (slow with big files).

Whatever is causing this, it has been around for way too long, and has been documented at length by many people on Forums previously. And, please, spare us the "file a bug report" line; I've sent bug reports to Apple about it loads of times (bug reports, not rants) and it is constantly ignored. It never used to do it, so an update caused it, but it's a pain and it's an unacceptably sloppy thing to be happening. If someone is getting it fixed by Permissions repair, I wonder what permissions needed re-setting and why it's not getting repaired on some machines.

Mar 25, 2011 4:10 AM in response to Recto Bold

Whatever is causing this, it has been around for way too long, and has been documented at length by many people on Forums previously. And, please, spare us the "file a bug report" line; I've sent bug reports to Apple about it loads of times (bug reports, not rants) and it is constantly ignored.

What makes you think we can fix it, then? We're just users, here. There aren't any Apple engineers, so how do you suppose ranting to us is going to fix the "bug?"

Mar 25, 2011 5:50 AM in response to Recto Bold

Recto Bold is right on the money. I experience this on all 5 of my Macs. I do a lot of screenshots and drag them into a new mail message. Once the message is sent, I cannot delete the screenshot without closing mail. If I empty the trash securely however, It will delete. I know I am one of many folks who have this issue.

Try the exact steps as Recto Bold described. If you are emptying trash securely, don't for this test. Let me know.

When will this Mail bug be fixed! - Enough already!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.