Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Identity of Backup has changed..umm, no it hasn't

I've been backing up for more than a year on my trusty Time Machine, sometimes there are hiccups but mostly it is seamless. This morning, "The identity of the backup disk has changed since the previous backup." Sorry, nothing has changed on my end. Nada. Nothing. Tells me "The disk may have been replaced or erased, or someone may be trying to trick your computer into backing up to the wrong disk."

So, I choose "Use this Disk" (other option was Don't Back Up). But it "fails."

What to do, what to do? Is some pirate out there trying to swoop in and steal my data?

Can someone help me get my head out of the oven?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 9:35 AM

4 replies

Mar 28, 2011 9:31 AM in response to redcookie

I have a Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and a IMac that all back up to the same Time Capsule. All worked fine for months and then the IMac started displaying this message. The other two are fine.

I finally let it create a new full backup (sparcebundle) and it worked fine for a week. Now I am getting this message again.

Sometimes if I disconnect all users under the disk tab in Airport Utility, and do a manual backup it will work fine. Sometimes not. Very strange.

Identity of Backup has changed..umm, no it hasn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.