Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constantly Having To Relaunch Finder

Hello,

More and more when I try to open a file on my Desktop it cannot be selected and I have to relaunch the Finder in the Force Quit window to get it to work. After that it works fine for a while before it happens again. Everything else seems to work fine. Expose works, applications work, just can't select files on the desktop. Thoughts?

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 10:40 AM

6 replies

Apr 11, 2011 8:42 PM in response to jrc362

Sorry, jrc, I don't use a wireless printer so can't give you any info on that. And you're correct, I'm on Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

Just to add to my own comment, I turned "Put computer to sleep..." in Energy Saver preferences to Never, but the the issue with dead Desktop icons still occurred. So, maybe it's connected the display going to sleep, or maybe it just happens after a period of Finder inactivity.

Apr 27, 2011 2:40 PM in response to jrc362

Have you tried disconnecting your firewire devices to see if your computer works OK then? I recently had a similar problem that went on for months along with a firewire external hard drive that often was not recognized. My son suggested restarting my Mac wiithout any firewire drives and I've not had a problem for about 2 weeks now. I also replaced that external drive.

Constantly Having To Relaunch Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.