Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much power does a Mac use when it's sleeping

I recently asked about shutting down vs. sleeping a computer at night. Now I'm wondering how much power it uses sleeeping. I have a laptop which I imagine is pretty dormant. What about a desktop-- Intel Mac?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 1:36 PM

Depends what you mean by desktop. If you mean iMac I can't help you. If you mean Mac Pro;
9W/55VA sleeping, (PF 0.16)
242W/263VA idle, (PF 0.92).
6 replies

Mar 24, 2011 2:04 PM in response to imcarmel

I can tell you nothing about a laptop as I don't see a way of measuring what it's using while asleep. As for the desktop you are pretty much spot on, You can use it for about 11 times longer than a 100W light bulb for the same money.
In fact by using one of those price comparison websites I work out that it'd cost, (@ 10.17p/KWH), [24x365] x 0.009 x 0.1017 = £8.018 if it was left on standby all the time for a full year.

That excludes things like a standing charge for the electricity, and assumes you were on the Fixed S@ver Dual Fuel plan from EDF Energy.

How much power does a Mac use when it's sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.