Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! iPhoto and Olympus Viewer 2

I recently bought an Olympus camera that came with its own editing software. The Olympus Viewer 2 software has some features missing from iPhoto -- namely trapezoid geometry correction. When I set OV2 as my external editor however I get an error. When I try to 'open in external editor' OV2 will launch but it then says that it cannot open the file xxx.jpg in "preview format".

Anyone seen this type of bug?

Anyone have a better suggestion for trapezoid geometry?

Blackbook, iMac i7, MBA 11", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 8:14 PM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2011 9:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

TD...I hope your trying to be helpful but your responses aren't on target. Actually their software will open a jpeg if I do it from within the application. It just doesn't work as an external editor in iPhoto. Let me re-ask the two questions I'm really hoping for help on:

1) Has anyone seen this type of bug and know how to work around it? (specifically an application that claims not to be able to open a file based on "kind" which OV2 think is "preview document")

2) Are there other iPhoto-compatible solutions that provide trapezoid geometry correction? (I am aware that PS can do this but it's overkill and too pricey for what I want)

Mar 25, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Jeff Greenberg

Anyone have a better suggestion for trapezoid geometry?

Photoshop Elements 9 for Mac. You can download a demo version, 20 days I believe, from here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshopelements&loc=enus

If you use it in conjunction with iPhoto the following may be of some help:

Using Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements 9 the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

Click to view full size
s

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always.

In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

NOTE: If you want to use both iPhoto's editing mode and PS without having to go back and forth to the Preference pane, once you've selected PS as your editor of choice, reset the Preferences back to "Open in main window". That will let you either edit in iPhoto (double click on the thumbnail) or in PS (Control-click on the thumbnail and seledt "Edit in external editor" in the Contextual menu). This way you get the best of both worlds.

User uploaded file

Help! iPhoto and Olympus Viewer 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.