Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a proxy server only when connecting to a specifc URL?

In the Mac network settings I see that I can connect through a proxy server and define a list of web sites that I want to bypass the proxy. How can I do the opposite? I want to define a list of URL's that are the only ones sent through the proxy.

I am accessing the URL from within FileMaker Pro, not with a standalone web browser.

Mac Pro (early 2008) 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.6), RAM: 10 gigs

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 12:26 AM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2011 6:44 PM in response to iHatePC

I would first search MacUpdate.com to see if there is any utility that already does this.

If find you need to roll your own, you can create a .pac file and specify this via System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> Proxy -> Automatic Proxy Configuration

A .pac file is really just a JavaScript function

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
}

Inside the FindProxyURL() function you make a decision on whether to send a URL to the proxy server, or to bypass the proxy server.

OK, so I know that .pac files exist (they are frequently used in a corporate environment), however, I do not know JavaScript, nor how to write a .pac file.

So if no one else chimes in, I suggest you do some Google Searches on writing Proxy .pac files.

Using a proxy server only when connecting to a specifc URL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.