Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 4:28 AM by digitalleaf
gwforeman Level 2 Level 2
If my company wanted to have 30 iPads for the conference room, and we want to synch them all to the same PC, so they are all the same each time, how can we purchase 30 instances of an app? We have no problem paying for 30 copies of what we need, but we certainly do not want 30 iTunes accounts.

Dell XPS/9000, Windows 7
  • nick101 Level 5 Level 5
    You can have just one iTunes account and sync all iPads to iTunes using that account.
  • gwforeman Level 2 Level 2
    nick101 wrote:
    You can have just one iTunes account and sync all iPads to iTunes using that account.

But how does this work with Apps? We will need to purchase 30 instances of the App. Not trying to pay for one copy and use on 30 iPads.
  • Kilgore-Trout Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad
    You essentially can use the app on as many iOS devices as you want once it is purchased.
    James Ward4 wrote:
    You essentially can use the app on as many iOS devices as you want once it is purchased.

That is only true for person, non-commercial use. One person may use the app on many devices for personal, non-commercial use. The same app may be used by many people on the same device
    James Ward4 wrote:

Thanks, doesn't sound fair or legal to the vendor...
    Good point. There's a volume purchase program but it's only for education

Here's a suggestion. Set up an account at the App store for each user and use the account to buy the app.

Use one account to handle syncing - that way you've paid for licences etc, with a little hassle, but don't have the sync problem.
    I'm pretty sure the company is not going to want to set up 30 iTunes accounts. I'll keep researchiing this, I can't be the only one with this delima.
    gwforeman wrote:
    I I can't be the only one with this delima.

You definitely aren't - it's a gap in App Store process. Big issue if Apple want enterprises to take iPad/iPhone on board
  • JACKIEPAD Level 1 Level 1
    How do I sync a second iPad to my computer and not have it load all the info from my first iPad?
    Connect the second iPad. In iTunes, select it in the left-hand pane and then work through the tabs in the main windows selecting what you do and don't want to sync.

This question really should be in a separate thread, since it's not really related to the original post
  • PROV1NB Level 1 Level 1

What we have done, and it's a bit of pain. We required 20 ipads to have the same app, what we did was purchase the app and then gifted the same app 19 other times to 19 email addresses. Then synced the same app to the ipads from one itunes account. It might not be the best or easiest way, but we had no choice as we required the apps. The gift purchases are documented and we have them if ever an issue arises concerning the apps.

Currently in Canada there is no volume licensing currently.

• digitalleaf Level 1 Level 1

Hi gwforeman, this is something that I am exploring right now with a Primary school that has aquired 30 iPads and a LEBA cart that does multi sync. I too am trying to find the perfect solution that works and is fair as nick101 says there is a bit of a gap in Apple's mutliple purchasing and multiple devices especially within education. But you can bet your bottom dollar this will all be sorted with OSX Lion and IOS 5.

But for now we have to find a work around, I will share my experience with you asap hopefully by the end of the week or early next week.

• FishComputer Level 4 Level 4

Use the same account for all of them. You can also take advantage of automatic downloads if you have wifi. You can find this in the "Store" settings page in the Settings apps on the iPads.

• FotoDirk Level 1 Level 1

The volume purchasing has just been announced by Apple.

http://www.apple.com/business/vpp/

Previous 1 2 Next