Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari shift+return key not working on Facebook web site

So, Facebook now lets you submit posts by hitting the return key whe you're done typing which is convenient. If you want to insert a line break however, you have to hold down the shift key and hit return. Unfortunately, Safari on iPad doesn't seem to allow this. Holding down shift and pressing return just sends a regular return (ignores the fac that you're holding down shift.). Anyone else notice this and have any workarounds?

Message was edited by: Rick Anderson

iPad 2, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 9:28 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2011 4:30 PM in response to Rick Anderson

I'd really like to find a workaround for this too. Well, actually I first wish Facebook hadn't gone and done this. As a society, are we really becoming lazy enough to warrant features that save us the huge burden of clicking that 'submit' button?! This feature saves us 1 mouse click or 2 keyboard clicks (tab + return)...that's it...yet it introduces a bunch of headaches! Most people aren't even going to bother to try and look up workarounds so we're all going to suffer those long posts with no paragraphing with much more frequency...ugh! lol

To make matters worse, I've discovered that only certain types of posts have this 'enter to post' feature. It's not even uniform across the site. That's just messing with my mind now and even here, at the beginning of this paragraph I hesitated...worried that entering the line breaks would accidentally (er...intentionally) submit this post before it was completed.

Anyways, I'm getting off track! My main beef is with Facebook but I'm here right now looking to see if some wise guru has figured out how we create paragraphs in our Facebook postings from our iPads too. For the time being, I suppose I shall stick to creating my posts in Notes, then copying and pasting. Some time saver that Facebook feature is for us iOS users, huh? 😉

Jun 17, 2012 4:01 PM in response to Rick Anderson

Discovered today line break or paragraph can be done in face book comments on safari by going into pages, open a blank page, hit return twice, copy all, go back to Facebook, paste in paragraph in comments. After pasting in paragraph hit backspace if only line break required. As long as paragraph is kept on clipboard it keeps on working.

Aug 15, 2012 3:15 AM in response to Rick Anderson

And since my last post I have discovered if a URL is pasted or typed then after that the return key functions as normal.

Therefore now if I want to use paragraphs my first entry would be www.yyy or www.anyoldrubbish (typed in manually)

For example. The return key now functions as intended and I no longer unintentionally post things as the post button needs to be hit to post.

Jan 26, 2014 5:32 AM in response to Txe2

Excellent - well spoted. Don't understand why this happens but your advice works a treat, saves me doing what your first post suggested (which I found myself doing all the time).

Ah, but, I've just discovered, the entering www trick doesn't work if you're trying to edit an entry - unless I'm doing something else wrong. 😝

Jan 26, 2014 5:40 AM in response to pat5star

Great post pat5star. I was about to reply to your post when I came across another annoying thing - not about facebook, but concerning our beloved Apple forum. After reading your post, I realised that I needed to be signed in to reply. This was when I encountered the really irritating thing which happens every time I come on to a forum. You press on the sign in button at the top of the page and where does it take you? - back to the discussion you wish to reply to? NO!! it takes you to a page asking you what your question is. Finding the page you were on is now nearly impossible, unless you do what I do and go back to the Google listing (which I keep open in another window), click on the result there and you can get back to the forum page you were on - this makes no logical sense to me and Apple should get that fixed.

Safari shift+return key not working on Facebook web site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.