Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only Safari can view podcast

We are having an issue viewing the podcasts we publish. The only browsers that works is Safari. At first I thought it was a Windows issue. The page loads but the videos never play. I made sure quicktime was working. I went directly to the link that the picture is pointing to and then the video plays. Firefox is the same issue. Chrome doesn't even load the picture. Same behavior on a Mac. We loaded Safari on windows and that works. I tried a different podcast server and its the same behavior. The server is 10.6.7.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 11:55 AM

8 replies

Mar 31, 2011 1:01 PM in response to peacedotnik

While using Firefox's Error Console, I noticed an error "img.outerHTML is undefined" which lead me to the following line of code:

var QTMediaExpander=Class.createWithSharedInstance('qtMediaExpander',true);QTMediaE xpander.prototype={initialize:function(){bindEventListeners(this,['handleClick'] );this.mEmbedFrameID=0;this.findMedia();publisher().subscribe(function(){this.co llapseAllMedia()}.bind(this),'DIALOG_WILL_SHOW');publisher().subscribe(function( ){this.findMedia()}.bind(this),'DIALOG_HIDDEN');},findMedia:function(){$$('#page _body img.posterimg').each(function(img){if(img.onclick!=this.handleClick){img.onclic k=this.handleClick;img.setAttribute('tabindex','0');img.setAttribute('role','but ton');}}.bind(this));},collapseAllMedia:function(){if(!$('page_body'))return false;$$('#page_body div.qtmedia').each(function(div){var img=div.next('img');if(!img||!img.hasClassName('posterimg'))return false;div.remove();img.show();img.setAttribute('tabindex','0');img.setAttribute ('role','button');});$$('#page_body img.posterimg').each(function(img){img.onclick=invalidate;});},expandMedia:func tion(inImg,inOptBackgroundColor){var img=$(inImg);img.setAttribute('tabindex','0');img.setAttribute('role','button') ;if(img.innerHTML)img.innerHTML='';var fullSrcMatch=img.outerHTML.match(/longdesc\s*=\s*"([^"]+)"/i);if(!fullSrcMatch) fullSrcMatch=img.outerHTML.match(/name\s*=\s*"([^"]+)"/i);if( User uploaded filefullSrcMatch)return;var fullSrc=fullSrcMatch[1];var backgroundColor=(inOptBackgroundColor||'#FFFFFF');if(img.width&&img.height&&ful lSrc&&fullSrc!=''){var extendHeight=(img.height>=20);var embed=Builder.node('div',{id:'qtmovie1',className:'qtmedia',style:'width:'+img. width+'px;height:'+(img.height+(extendHeight?12:0))+'px'});var alignMatch=img.className.match(/align\S+/);if(alignMatch)Element.addClassName(e mbed,alignMatch[0]);img.parentNode.insertBefore(embed,img);var objectHTML='<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" width="'+img.width+'" height="'+(img.height+(extendHeight?16:0))+'" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab"><param name="SRC" value="/collaboration/fake.qti"><param name="QTSRC" value="'+fullSrc+'?sessionID='+server().sessionID+'"><param name="TYPE" value="video/quicktime"><param name="SCALE" value="aspect"><param name="AUTOPLAY" value="true"><param name="CONTROLLER" value="true"><param name="TARGET" value="myself"><param name="BGCOLOR" value="'+backgroundColor+'"></object>';if(SafariFixes.isiPad){embed.innerHTML=' <video src="'+fullSrc+'" width="'+img.width+'" height="'+img.height+'" controls></video>';Element.hide(img);}

Is it possible the issue relates to how it embeds the quicktime object using expandMedia:function?

Mar 31, 2011 3:02 PM in response to Anthony Mitchell

Received this link from the Admin at the Podcast Producer listserv. It contains a script to run that restores functionality on (some) browsers:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3747

Have tested successfully on Firefox, but Chrome and Internet Explorer did not work (your results may vary as I am just now testing). Let me know how it works for you?

Only Safari can view podcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.