Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can use of smcFanControl all the time be destructive to my macbook pro?

Hello forum,

I grilled my hands on my MacBook pro for over a year now till I found this lovely small application called smcFanControl. This app really keeps the temperature of the surface of the keyboard low only if the fan power is >50-60% all the time.

Now my question is if it is harmful to the fan if it's working all the time? or is there any limit for that? like say higher than 90%?

Thank you,
Stan

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Hot keyboard, High temperature, smcFanControl, high rpm fan

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 3:45 PM

9 replies

Mar 25, 2011 5:15 PM in response to StanleyMileman

Now my question is if it is harmful to the fan if it's working all the time? or is there any limit for that? like say higher than 90%?

Probably not however it depends on much much you have tweaked the fan. If you have increased the speed 125% or more then my guess is it's probably prematurely wearing out the fan. The real question is why are you using this app?

Roger

Mar 26, 2011 8:01 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you Roger for your response... The problem with my MacBook Pro is the over heating of the CPU and as a result a hot surface that does not feel good...

With SmcFanControl you have control over the rpm of the fan, it also monitors fan rpm. You can change the fan rpm from 2000 rpm up to 6200 rpm. I don't know if these range is within the specs of the fan.

Do you have any better solution?

Regards,
Stan

Mar 26, 2011 8:18 AM in response to StanleyMileman

You have't said what temps your computer is operating at, you can find that by downloading the iStatPro widget. Also were you aware Apple builds safeguards into every computer that prevents overheating. If the computer senses it is overheating it will shut down. A properly operating computer (hardware and software) will never overheat assuming the owners uses it as it was intended to be used. For example I have read numerous posts of users complaining their MBP overheats while using it on their bed. Had these users read their owners manuals they would have seen Apple recommends using their notebooks on a hard flat surface so it can get adequate ventilation. Speaking of manuals have you carefully read yours, if not I would be willing to bet you find some useful information.

Mar 26, 2011 9:44 AM in response to StanleyMileman

Hi,

I use SMC Fan Control also! It's great!

I find that my machine runs 15˚-20˚C cooler than with the stock settings when I am rendering video, images, or when the Flash player is running... LOL

So, while rendering video, it will hit 95˚ to 100˚C with out SMC FanControl... With fans turned up to the max for the duration of the render, the heat sits around 75˚-80˚C for me.

I haven't smoked any of my fans since my last MacBook, or my new one... so I wouldn't worry too much! This is a great tool!

Just make sure you turn the jet engine down once you're done with whatever heavy editing your doing.

Good luck!

Joe 😉

Mar 26, 2011 10:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I've read the manual and actually I use it on a well ventilated desk. The temperature easily and quickly gets to 80-90°C when flash player is working or when CPU is being used for a relatively long periods of time.

My MBP never shut down because of that, and I wish it did. Because if it did, I could have replaced it with something else.

"Working" due to not-overheating is a relative term. If the heat sink is not working properly and the heat finds other ways to dissipate (through the surface of the laptop), still it will not shut down... but it will burn you.

-Stan

Mar 26, 2011 5:32 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I would just like to chime in here and vouch that these fan control apps will make a difference when graphics or video ecoding (Handbrake) for example.

Then there is the other side of the hill, where encoding and CPU is normal for that high temp because you wouldn't expect video to encode at a cool would you.

Then again, while these apps do their job, be careful, as "forcing" the speed to to stay cool may genate more heat as fans spin up to reduce to cool it down. Thats my understand anyway. Based on that i'd prefer to just use iStat to monitor, not control which control.

I mean, the temps rise for a reason when encoding/ graphics intensive use. Your basically asking the machine to take it it its limits, which may work fine, but its probably on the boarder line.

Also, just for the record, its not only Apple that has sensors that prevents overheating.. Most Intel chips do and shutdown when heat is above and beyond.

Just out of curiousity, what is the max. fan temps on the MBP ? I know it was 6200rpm on the 13"

Can use of smcFanControl all the time be destructive to my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.