Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help!!! Lost all data on internal & FireWire drives

Computer locked up while trying to install Xcode 4, after hard reboot I got the flashing question mark. After all attempts, (zapping pram, holding option key, safe mode, etc....) started up from install disk to restore from Time Machine. It could not locate my TM backup. Started up in Target Disk Mode and connected it to my MacBook, internal HD & FireWire TM external mounted on MB but they both show no data what so ever. It looks like whatever happened to lock the imac up erased all data on both drives.

Now what? I am going to try Data Rescue but it is not looking good.

Any other ideas?

G5, 24"iMac, 20"iMac, Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 5:13 PM

9 replies

Mar 25, 2011 7:17 PM in response to flashgj

As strange as it sounds, there have been a number of others who have recently reported similar disasters associated with a failed XCode install - see these threads:

*All mounted volumes erased when system crashed during XCode install*
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13282009

*Install Xcode from the App Store = Deleted System*
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13226070

Mar 25, 2011 7:29 PM in response to flashgj

It seems that you may be the victim of the worst software bug I've ever heard of, on any platform. If your only backup drive has been erased, it's all the more important that you take the problem directly to Apple without doing anything else yourself. If Apple is responsible for your loss, it should do whatever is necessary to restore your data, even if that means paying for your drives to be processed by a data recovery service.

Mar 26, 2011 3:21 PM in response to jsd2

Thank you for that link jsd2. This has been such a gigantic disaster to me that I feel the pain of what the others must be going through. You think with three different backups that you have yourself fairly well protected against all kinds of failures. Well, you will never see me installing new software without unmounting my critical backups. Lesson learned the very, very hard way.

This is going to take months, if not years, to even partly recover from this mess. I just pray to G*d that I can recover three years of pictures from one of my 3 backups. Running Data Recovery now, but that alone is going to take days.

Mar 27, 2011 1:58 AM in response to flashgj

Not as nasty, but a failed XCode 4 install rendered by boot drive unbootable. I did not loose data on any other of the 4 internal and 2 external drives that were attached at the time, including the boot drive. The install for the latest XCode that supports iOS 4.3.1 stalled about 2/3 the way while it was moving files. I did a hard reboot after 20 minutes without progress. I get as far as the Apple logo and spinning indicator, but cannot complete booting, even in safe mode. I can access everything on the corrupt boot drive including fixing permissions and checking the disk, but still cannot boot to it even though it is listed as a boot option. I now am backing up the data from the corrupt drive and will restore the drive from a somewhat outdated backup boot drive.

Help!!! Lost all data on internal & FireWire drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.