Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" AGAIN

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required
I've seen 100+ post related to this issued but none seem to hit my precise issue.
I have a 17"+2 15" MacBookPros, ibook, G5, and a MacPro 2.66 Dual quad core.
My 17" MacbookPro has 10.4.11 OS. The MacPro has 10.6.2. with 4 internal & 1 FW800.
Actions:
- Did the initial boot of the MaPro and migrated my data form the 17" MacBkPro when I was prompted during the loads. After load completed and accounts all were pulled over I restarted the MacPro. The macpro came up with just blue screen. I did get the MacPro to only booted into safe mode. This reeks trouble with updates.
- Did a new install from MacPro factory DVD and ApplicationDVD onto a separate HD. I did NOT migrate anything. This load would reliably boot every time. I then did a migration of my 17"MacBKpro to the MacPro. Restarted only to receive the blue screens with only a movable mouse which did nothing.
- I did notice a statement which mentioned I was required to update the 17'MacBKpro prior to migration. This created more problems because It told me my Disk was in the wrong format.

QUESTION: Should I backup data with Disk utility, CCC, or another utility then format MacBKpro into the 10.6 or 10.5 OS? QUESTION If I just did the and migrated my date back onto the MacbkPro would not this be simi;ar in result as migrating over to the MacPro???

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" There should be a cmmd line fix for this like "mk MBR" Question: I only require booting into safe mode directly after a migrate assistant was used to be over data from the 17" MacBKpro?

I know the different format types is what is messing everything up. I should the had this fixed weeks ago but I'm burnt out and Sick. I just can't think this through. I need someone to bounce this off the wall with so I can get my system fully operational.

I have booted with the MacPro Install DVD and ran disk repair. The repairs are made but the "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" shows up and the system will only boot into safe mode once any migration has been performed.

MY PLANS are to:

Make another new installed onto the MacPro using the factory supplied Install and Application DVD disk. I will then do all updates to the firmware and OS before trying the migration assistant.
I plan to boot 17"MacBKpro using the MacPro install DVD and try a Migration to the MacPro over FW.

If anyone out there has dealt with this same issue please post feedback. ONLY mac people with this similar issued need reply.

macbookpro17, mac pro 2.66 dual quad, G5, macbookpro 1515, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 10:49 PM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2011 1:58 AM in response to pappy stan

It isn't an error message.

Treat it as 'for your information.'
Treat it as you would any message from repairing permissions as required would be.

And use the latest possible version of Disk Utility for format/partition/erase your drive(s).

and I'm not in favor of migrating apps into a Mac Pro. You have the 2006 1,1 model, same as mine, except I run 10.6.7.

Mar 26, 2011 5:15 AM in response to pappy stan

The hatter wrote: Treat it as 'for your information.'
Treat it as you would any message from repairing permissions as required would be.

To add: open up the Disk Utility Log from the icon. You should see "Repair tool completed." That's all you need to know. The "updating" message is misleading. Makes it seem as if something is still in progress.

Mar 26, 2011 1:16 PM in response to The hatter

This issue "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required"
Is as it is define by others is then a part of a larger problem?
The Migration Assistant being using between to different disk format types.
Please remember the OS on the 17"MacBKpro was not able to be upgraded due to the disk format.
Then if I attempt any migration the reboot brings up a constant BLUE screen with a movable but non activate mouse and no dock. Its as if the system suspends itself prior to launching the finder.

I will look at the upgrade attempt log and also check logs on the bootup of the MacPro.

MacPro: Right NOW only Safe mode is completely able to boot, So what piece am I missing.
OS 7.5 we could chop the boot process down till the one bad guy could be determined.

"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" AGAIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.