Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 3G Activation with Rogers

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems activating their iPad2 with Rogers?

When I try to activate through Settings - Cellular Data - View Account, I get a Rogers logo and "Service Temporarily Unavailable". This is while connected to Wi-Fi.
If I disable Wi-Fi, I simply get "Connection Failed" (no Rogers logo, etc).

Called Rogers and went through their idiotic problem shooting checklist, after which they advised me to call Apple Support.
Instead, I went back to the retailer I bought from (not Apple) and confirmed that another SIM card already activated on an iPhone worked just fine. It's not the device.

The retailer tried to do a manual month-to-month activation through their Rogers terminal (can't remember what they called it), and couldn't even find an activation code for iPads.

Question that I probably already know the answer for: Is it possible that Rogers is just not ready for the launch?? Has anyone been able to activate??

iPad 2 3G 64GB, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 9:36 AM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2011 11:29 AM in response to ChunkyLoverYYZ

Problem solved.

I noticed under Settings - General - Network that the "Not Available" setting could be expanded, which displayed "SIM not provisioned". This led me to believe there was a SIM card issue.

Sure enough, I was given a regular SIM card, not a pre-activated.

Depending on the data plan you want you need to decide between the regular SIM and pre-activated:

Regular SIM: Used for all traditional phone/data services where you pay $XX for XX MB per month, every month.

Pre-activated SIM: Used for pre-paid plans (or pay-as-you-go). You pay $XX for XX MB and when it's used, you're offline until you "charge" your SIM again.

For what it's worth, I stayed with the regular SIM anyway, since Rogers has a flex data plan and Best Buy is offering 2 $25 credits to be used against your monthly invoices. Not sure how long that's going.
The Rogers plan is $20/500GB and if you go over it bumps you to $35/5GB automatically. After that it's $.05/KB.

Hope this helps someone else with a headache.

iPad 2 3G Activation with Rogers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.