Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Dock's Downloads Folder Sort Order

I accidentally removed the Downloads folder from the Dock. I was able the get it back, however when I choose to Sort By "Date Added", it shows the oldest downloads on top. It used to show the most recent on top... how can I change that? It's driving me crazy!

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 3:14 PM

If you made the change by --option-- control click,

then you can option-command click, in this finder window, flip the triangle in the +Date Created+ column, for example. You may have to change the control-click option to date created. A little experimentation should capture your preference.

Message was edited by: leroydouglas
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2011 3:14 PM in response to LarryE

If you made the change by --option-- control click,

then you can option-command click, in this finder window, flip the triangle in the +Date Created+ column, for example. You may have to change the control-click option to date created. A little experimentation should capture your preference.

Mar 26, 2011 4:34 PM in response to LarryE

LarryE wrote:
the Downloads automatic window when you click on Downloads in the Dock

=display as Stack

It could be in deleting the folder then recreating, you lost date and time stamps. So possibly a little creativity in the Finder Window opening and closing files will start to sort itself out.

Maybe a work around is to restore from a Time Machine back-up to reclaim your Dock and Downloads folder as it was before you deleted it. This I would suspect keep intact the original date and time stamps and the old sort order?

hope this helps

Lets be clear you are talking about the Downloads Folder- and this you drag from your your user account.

This is different than adding to the right side of your Dock a "Recent" Folder which can be set to: Applications, Documents, Server, Volumes, Items. This is done by terminal command only.

The Dock's Downloads Folder Sort Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.