Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-install Combo Update 10.6.7 says volume not available

When I try to rum the 10.6.7 Combo Update it has a yellow triangle on my volume.

I already have 10.6.7 but am trying to run the Combo Update as many have suggested as a TS step. Do you need to boot from a volume other than the one you want to run it? Other volumes that are clones of my system also had the yellow triangle.

How do you run it?

Thanks ... Ken

MacBook Pro; Mac Pro 3,1; ATI 5870; 16Gb, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27" LED

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 3:57 PM

18 replies

Mar 27, 2011 1:33 AM in response to Patrick Foley III

Thanks for the info.

It’s my Mac Pro early 2008.
It currently has 1067 on it.

I read where others re-apply the combo 1067 update as a TS step.

I tried it for the first time and could not run it.
Seems plausible since I already have 1067 installed.

Perhaps those re-applying it where doing so with an earlier os installed?

Thanks ... Ken

May 20, 2011 7:58 AM in response to Andrew Patton

Hi,

I was able to get in earlier to try this. Repaired the desk, repaired permissions (No problems detected with either). Because I could only remote in, i couldn't reset PRAM, but I also noticed there was a firmware update for thunderbolt and I think that resets PRAM. In any case I installed that firmware update, and still getting this error. I will try manually resetting PRAM and SMC on Monday.

In the mean time any other suggestions on how I can get 10.6.7 combo updater to run again on a 10.6.7 machine?

Thanks for your support 😀

May 20, 2011 10:47 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks everyone and sorry if I have confused the issue.

I would like to be able to reinstall the combo update ontop of the current build and this is the very first time I have run into this type of issue. I have even created a new user account and tried that. Does anyone know if Apple no longer let us reinstall combo updates on the latest version of 10.6?

I have tried looking in error logs on the console and see 'out of range' errors there, but nothing that jumps out as being a cause for blocking installation on the volume.

Also, would an app like pacifier get around this problem? Don't want to reinstall the combo update if apple have disabled this for a reason is all...

Thanks for your support.

May 21, 2011 2:24 AM in response to baltwo

In this particular (and unusual) case, though, the "current Combo update" may be earlier than the "current build."

Andrew mentioned "Thunderbolt", which would indicate that his iMac is brand new. According to this support page, a mid-2011 iMac could have shipped with build 10J4139 of OS X 10.6.7:

User uploaded file

Whereas according to this support page, the software update versions of OS X 10.6.7 were earlier builds than that:

User uploaded file

Andrew - did your Mac originally come with OS X 10.6.7, or did it come with OS X 10.6.6 which you then updated?

When I go to Apple menu > About this Mac and then click on where it says "Version 10.6.7", I then see "Build 10J869. What build do you see there?

Re-install Combo Update 10.6.7 says volume not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.