Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2010 MacBook Pro is running slow

Not long ago, I've been noticing my Macbook Pro lagging a lot. When i go to open up safari, it will take a while to load a page, where before it would quickly load, or when i would go to print a page, it will take a while for the "print" option to come up. It takes a lot longer to load everything, and im not sure why. Anyone know any reasons and solutions?

idk, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 7:35 PM

I would first recommend restarting in Safe Mode and if that doesn't fix it try both a SMC and PRAM reset.

_SMC RESET_

• Shut down the computer.
• Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
• On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
• Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.

_PRAM RESET_

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
• Release the keys.

Roger
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2011 7:35 PM in response to XXIpodluvaXX

I would first recommend restarting in Safe Mode and if that doesn't fix it try both a SMC and PRAM reset.

_SMC RESET_

• Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
• On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
• Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.

_PRAM RESET_

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
• Release the keys.

Roger

Mar 26, 2011 8:14 PM in response to XXIpodluvaXX

Difficult to say. You can check Activity Monitor (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) click the *System Memory* tab towards the bottom. Run Activity Monitor with the rest of the apps that you normally run so it gets a good idea. Then check to see:

1. How much Free Ram you have. Report back how much is Free.
2. Check the column called %CPU and see if you have an app that is taking up a lot.

Glad you got it sorted out and thank you for the star.

My 2010 MacBook Pro is running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.