Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

surround sound bootcamp windows 7

Okay, so here is my issue, and I hope you can help me with it. I have a 17" iMac dual booted with windows 7. I have the audio out through a 3.5 mm to optical (Toslink) cable into my surround sound system. My issue is that the cirrus logic cs4206a driver does not have the option of anything more than 2 channel sound output. I have already tried a couple suggestions on the internet, even wasted 5 bucks on dolby digital live and dts connect pack. Nothing is working and I was told that I could get true 5.1 dolby digital surround sound out of my iMac. If there is anyway possible to do this and I am just missing it. please let me know.

P.S. yes i know that no matter what the iMac cannot send out 5.1 audio signal it is compressed and must be decoded live by my surround sound. And my surround sound system is fully capable of that.

Thank you
-Brian

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), bootcamped with windows 7

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 4:21 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2012 1:26 PM in response to Dr.Grimm

I know this thread is a year old, but I thought I should post my solution in case others with this problem come across this as I did.

I was having tis problem on both my laptops which I have connected to my living room and bedroom tv. Here are my equipment and connection profiles:

Asus G73jw with nVidia video card

Windows 8 consumer preview 64 bit

Onkyo tr-609 recevier

Samsung flat screen

Laptop connected to receiver via HDMI

Sony 2011 Z series

Docking station with an ATI video card that allows connection of multiple displays

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Onkyo tr-509

Samsung flat screen

Laptop (not docking station) connected to receiver via HDMI

The solution turned out to be uninstalling all Realtek drivers and software, restarting the computer and letting Windows install it's own sound drivers. That cleared the problem. Somehow, whatever the realtek drivers pass through to the recever are not 5.1 surround or cannot be decoded.

If anyone wants more detail, post here and I will reply.

surround sound bootcamp windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.