Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Triggering a Midi sequence in Mainstage 2

Hi

I'm running mainstage 2 on my Macbook pro with the RME FF 400 audio interface.

I'm using the 8 track mixer template to play back 8 stems of audio .

I've just purchased the TC helicon Voicelive touch and I want to run midi into it to trigger harmonies on my vocals, I just cant figure out how to do this, and it's driving me mad 🙂

There is a way of triggering the harmonies in the Voicelive touch using an audio signal but I don't want to do that because the audio signal is routed to come out the output for some strange reason and you cant mute it! and i don't want that , I only want a clean vocal , and I don't play guitar so it has to be midi!

I dont want to play the midi notes live either so the only option I have is some kind of sequence that begins when I press play on my mainstage Mixer (much like the "playback" plug-in but with midi instead of audio).

How on earth do I do this? I really don't want to use Logic in a live situation as i really like the mainstage interface.

I'm thinking of using the sequencer in Ultrabeat (on a software instrument channel strip in mainstage) which will trigger when i press play in mainstage, this solves the sequencer trigger bit and because i just need basic chords it wont be too hard to program the notes in the ultrabeat sequencer.

But how do I get the notes out as external midi???

I was trying to use WIDISOFT plug in
http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-au.html

It comes up as in insert on the Software synth channel strip and seems to be doing something but even if it is converting the ultrabeat audio sequence into midi I still don't have a midi output option from the channel strip (only my RME audio outs)

Perhaps I sound really stupid but is it converting the audio into midi and sending a midi signal to a 1/4 jack out?? do i need some kind of 1/4 jack to midi cable that runs from my RME output and into the midi in of the TC Helicon Voicelive touch? does such a cable exist?

I saw someone mention midipipe and ReWire as well but I wasn't sure that would solve my problem either. I saw someone mention in another forum that Kontakt has the option to select external midi out (but is this true of the AU version?) also not sure Kontakt has any kind of sequencer??

Any help to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 4:42 PM

4 replies

Mar 28, 2011 6:28 AM in response to niclinn75

Hmmm
I guess no-one knows

I'm thinking sending external midi playback from mainstage is impossible.

So heres my next idea, I buy a synth that has an onboard sequencer.

That way i can have the play button on mainstage trigger my synth sequencer which will send midi notes to my vocal harmony unit.

Any ideas about synths that have sequencers, i've got a Korg poly 800 but that only stores one sequence 😟
I'm thinking the ensoniq ESQ-1 ( you can pick them up very cheap on ebay)

does anyone else use this method or have any other ideas

thanks in advance 🙂

Mar 28, 2011 8:00 AM in response to niclinn75

hi,
in my experience, I would suggest to have all your backing tracks, audio and MIDI, in Logic, behind your Mainstage concert. Use Mainstage for your live sounds, and I you can send MIDI messages via IAC internal bus to Logic (you'll have to define custom keys in Logic's Preferences), to control Transport and move between Markers to locate every song. Just remember to STOP logic manually after every song or it will continue to the next marker.

There is a tutorial somewhere in this forum to do this with GarageBand, but since it - initially- does not allow any MIDI out, you would be in the same problem.

Secondary option, using MIdipipe, since it has a Midifile player plugin, but having audio tracks in Mainstage and MIDI in Midipipe is almost impossible to have them in sync.

best,

Valgreen

Mar 28, 2011 3:03 PM in response to valgreen

Hi Valgreen

Thanks for your response, I think i'm gonna give up on using mainstage until they add a midi playback function, its a shame, because I really liked the layout.

You helped me solve a problem with your reply though, I was worried about opening up songs in Logic in a live situation but i never thought to just have all the songs in the same logic song! as long as i remember to press the spacebar between the songs as you pointed out.

So thanks for that 🙂

all the best

Nathan

Triggering a Midi sequence in Mainstage 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.