Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a normal number of processes to appear in activity monitor?

When I go into Activity Monitor and click on "All Processes", I have anywhere from 50-62 processes going on. A friend told me this was far too many, but she uses a different operating system than I do.

I have a 10.4.11 OS on a Macbook that I bought in January of 2007.

My computer overheats fairly easily, so I'm not sure if there is a problem here. It has typically maintained a number of around 60-62, but when I restart it, the numbers drop to a 56 or so and slowly rebuild. I recently downloaded Sophos, an antivirus program, which takes up 4 processes (don't know if that's normal).

Is this a typical number of processes (these are the numbers when I have no main programs, like Safari/Microsoft Office/itunes/other open), or do I need to do some kind of cleaning? And if I do need cleaning, what should I do?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 10:13 PM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2011 10:59 PM in response to AerinC

Sophos is a real problem here, but on a PPC G5 PowerMac, so I never installed it on anything else.

My eMac/1.42/2G/10.5.8 has about 60 to 70 Processes showing, can check 10.4.11 tomorrow if you wish, but while it depends on so many factors, I don't consider yours abnormal at all. 🙂

do I need to do some kind of cleaning? And if I do need cleaning, what should I do?

If anything, At this point I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.
Repair Permissions.
Clear out Cache Files.
Repair/check several plist files.
Dump the VM files for a fresh start.
Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! 🙂

What is a normal number of processes to appear in activity monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.