Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Asks for password

Hi,

When I open the terminal app it prompts for a password before it displays the prompt. I can type my password, then the prompt is displayed and terminal appears to run as expected.
I have compared the preferences to another machine that does not ask for the password and they are the same. I have run a permissions repair and removed the ~/library/preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist but neither has fixed the problem.

Any suggestions as to what might be the issue?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 1:52 AM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2011 6:36 AM in response to Mouchel

Either you have something in your .bash_profile (or .bash_login, or .profile) that is running a command that wants your password, or your terminal default session has been configured to ssh into another system (which could be localhost, aka yourself).

So look at the shell initializations files I mentioned above. See what they are doing. You could always edit the shell initialization file and add

set -x

at the very beginning to see exactly what it is doing when you login. Remote the "set -x" when you are finished.

To see if you have your Terminal preferences configured to ssh, you could enter the following

printenv | grep ssh

If you get

SSH_CLIENT=::1 49801 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/ttys001
SSH_CONNECTION=::1 49801 ::1 22

chances are you have been issuing the ssh command as part of your Terminal preferences.

By the way, Terminal, Unix, X11, and command line command, ssh, rsync, etc... questions are best asked in the Mac OS X Technologies > Unix Forum
<http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=735>

Terminal Asks for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.